Graphite powder for leaf springs

Whenever the subject of lubricating Series leaf springs arises from time to time, the general consensus of opinion seems to be that, although oiling them undoubtedly improves the ride, the downside is the problem of oil and dirt acting as grinding paste. ISTR somebody suggesting graphite powder a while back i.e. dry lubricant. Where would you buy such stuff? TIA Alan (springs getting stiffer due to lack of rain)

Reply to
mbqd64

G'day,

Lack of rain in the UK??? (stereotypical view of UK weather - chuckle).

I got some graphite from a locksmith's who use the stuff to charge punters a fortune when their car door locks seize up.

Have you got that bottom PTO yet?

Reply to
Roger Martin

On 2003-10-04 snipped-for-privacy@bribieisland.net said: >>snip....ISTR somebody suggesting graphite powder a >> while back i.e. dry lubricant. Where would you buy such stuff? >> Alan (springs getting stiffer due to lack of rain) >G'day, >Lack of rain in the UK??? (stereotypical view of UK weather - >chuckle). I got some graphite from a locksmith's who use the stuff >Have you got that bottom PTO yet? >

Hiya Roger, This summer, in East Anglia, YES! Hasn't rained really properly since June, apart from recent half hearted 5 minute showers. Lawn still quite straw coloured. Haven't got the mower out in weeks. Not complaining at that though! This summer, more like Oz here I fancy! No! Still looking for bottom pto. Oh, the possibilities!!! 1) Remove overdrive 2) Ashcroft H/R gears into transfer box 3) Normal pto to rear from overdrive position 4) Bottom pto driving hydraulic pump for 3 point linkage. Heaven! It'd keep me quiet for a year or so! How're you coping with backpackers driving your fleet on the beaches? Regards Alan.

Reply to
mbqd64