GRRR, b*$%*^d 101

Decided that being as there are still a few miles left to do this season before I autobox burrt that I would take out the free play on the clutch pedal, and then fit my headlamps I bought a year ago to replace the useless existing items. Two nice quick and easy jobs.......

Turns into a 6 hour marathon:

One bolt holding the clutch pedal assembly in place has had the threads stripped, so had to grind that off to remove the assembly. 10 minutes into the job, the free play has been taken out, and we're ready to fit it back in.....

1 hour later because the box would not line up with the holes for love nor money, and then the unions decided they would line back up, the system is refilled, and Dawn installed in the drivers seat to begin the bleeding. Underneath with the 11mm spanner, just touch the bleed nipple, and it shears off, leaving me with a slave cylinder that can't be bled. Slave cylinder removed and onto bench. Feeling cheapskate, I decide that I'm not paying for a new slave cylinder being as the auot will soon be going in, so easiout the the remains as I have a spare bleed nipple, and the easiout snaps.......

2 hours later I managed to remove the easiout and the broken half of the bleed nipple, but now the threads are buggered, so manage to bodge round it using PTFE tape.

3 hours later the damn pedal box is on its way back out because I'm getting highyl cheesed off with all the unions leaking every time you touch the pedal.....

3 1/2 hours later, pedal box back in, loads more PTFE tape to the rescue, only the clutch pedal isn't doing anything, no pumping of fluid..... Pressurise the system using the easibleed, thinking it must be too much air in the master cylinder and pipes. Fluid pouring from the slave cylinder when bled, but no clutch pedal pressure when bleed nipple tight. Slave cylinder back out. When pressure aplied, insides move. Slave back into vehicle. Connect back up, still no joy. Pedal box back out...

Pump clutch pedal in my hands, its moving fluid in and out of the right holes. Fit it back in, and put a box of matches on the dash. Dawn back in drivers seat. System bled, clutch working...WTF?

Then upgrade the lights using the new fancy modern style lenses and bulbs I bought over a year ago. Everything rusted solid, nothing coming out. Then find that the new lights wont fit the 101 bowls (sold as supposed to fit all land rovers). Difference is in the mountings. Now screwed as need to use it tomorrow evening and need lights. Brain wave, donor rangie, whipped the light bowls from it, fitted them in, fitted the new lights (which also have a nice sidelight as well). Even used the plugs from the rangie to match into the 101 loom as they had the correct connector on. Switch the lights on, nice bright lights blinding everyone, should do the job nicely!

Total time taken, 5 hours 50 minutes.....

Landrovers, don't you just love 'em!!!

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

...and relays.. ??? or you'll have another epic.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Its not the same when everything just works..

This forum would be dead for a start!

Glad you got it sorted.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Why will 'replacing' two 55w bulbs with two 'new' 55w bulbs require a new relay?

Reply to
.mother

That clutch on the 101 is a bastard isnt it.

Been there and spend a couple of days swearing at it and taking it all apart too many times! Even had to recruit an assistant to help me break stuff. Those unions through the bulkhead are the worst...

I had to buy a vacuum bleeder to bleed mine up. Must admit that was the least painful part of the process!

101's know when you want to use them...

I'm about to swap the engine on my car. Got 10 days of MOT left and it wont pass with the current one. So the 101 becomes my only transport...

so the brake servo has died. I'm hopeful i can get a saab servo to fit tommorrow without having to bleed the brakes.

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Simon Isaacs uttered summat worrerz funny about:

a) If it says simply remove or suggests a 1 spanner job be afraid b) If it ain't broke don't fix it c) You can bet a pound to a pinch of shit that if something is going to go tit's up it'll be immediately before a trip.

Disco decided that being left stood on the drive for four weeks was taking liberties and protested today by demonstrating the joys of a flat battery.

That said.... any work in a 101 footwell is in my experience an utter utter bastard of a job... best to file your nuckles off prior to commencement of the work and get it out of the way. The Landrover designers must have been on long weekend off when they cobbled together that part of the story.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

He didn't say "replace" he said "upgrade" - which is often a synonym for "add more watts". Its exactly what killed the entire dashboard loom in our Ambi (BEFORE we bought it....). And if he is JUST replacing, its odds on that with heavier feeders and a relay, they'll be brighter anyway ;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

You didn't bother to read his entire post, then.

They already have a relay. He'd be better off replacing the Earth.

Reply to
.mother

What ALL of it ? 's a bit drastic.

Steve