Hammond

You must live somewhere urbanised to *have* a local paper. We have a locally produced quarterly news letter. Of the commercial papers the weekly Cumberland & Westmorland Herald is the only one that regulary produces stories for this area, not many crime related ones though and compared to the likes of Penrith and Carlisle, none.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The Galloway News - published every Thursday. :-)

Reply to
Torak

Had one robbery in 8 years where a gang one windy night went through our village in Northamptonshire of 70 house and cleaned out a few unsecured sheds/barns of machinery, tools etc.

A local did spy someone fly tipping at a farm gate took down number and rang a neighbour who works in Special Branch. Got the address, collected a few other neighbours together, scooped up all the rubbish and tipped it bag by bag all over his front garden in full view of the culprit and his neighbours. He was too shocked to speak up or complain and I don't think he will be fly tipping again, especially as they also walked across the road and had a drink in his local after all their hard work!

Neil

T> We've had one robbery in our village in 15 years.

Reply to
bumble101

||| Hear, hear, same up on the North Pennines. There was a mugging last ||| month,

|| In the village (no not *that* village number 6) there's a crime || warning regarding a spate of burglaries in the area, there were two || in the space of 4 months! We'll all be murdered in our beds! The || "area" covers almost half of North Dorset. The report was last || updated 8 months ago ;-)

The last time we saw the police in this area (we're not even in the village, strictly), apart from the visits to check my shotgun security, was about 8 years ago, when a garage was broken into and *nothing stolen*. Having been brought up in Nige's neck of the woods, it's a dream, and like others I would never consider going back to the city.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Wed, 27 Sep 2006 19:58:28 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

Don't you get the dodgy Irish boys nicking chainsaws and stuff over your way then? There was a spate of it around here. Mind you, a couple of the locals caught 'em out - one of them was offered a saw he recognised as belonging to the other. He claimed not to want it, but that he knew a bloke who might, then rang up the other chap, who came round and said "that's me fookin' saw, yer bastard" and they then proceeded to intimidate the would-be saw-seller somewhat.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Oh naughty...

Yes there is a certain amount of "civil law" used around these parts as well, also with the full knowledge of the local constabulary.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice