Head for a 300TDi

Hi,

A friend's Discovery 300TDi has cracked the cylinder head and I'm helping him to locate one.

We're located in Spain and here used spares for this car are hard to find.

I had found a couple of eBay sellers that offer what they call new OEM heads.

Are they better option than used spares?

Can anybody recommend a reliable seller, eBay or not?

Looking at the removed head I suppose it's wise to get at least new valves along with the obvious new set of gaskets.

Are the rest of the parts reusable?

Are there different versions of the engine that use different cylinder heads?

Thanks for the help

Reply to
Yuki

I don't know how these prices compare with what you've seen but this is a well respected firm but I have not had any dealings with them:

You should be able to re-use all parts other than the gasketry. The valves should be able to be re-used after hand grinding to match the new guide/seat geometry (unless the engine got very very warm!).

The problem with used heads is that you won't know anything about their past history and I'd not trust anything that sellers claim. From your distance, knowing that you've got a good one is even more important.

These OEM (O/E) heads will, I think, have been produced by the same foundry as used by Land Rover for production. Ask the seller to explain.

Reply to
Dougal

Their prices are about 12% higher than ebay sellers but that's not relevant if the service is dependable.

As my friend is paying a professional mechanic to remove and fit it, probably is wise to get the one with all valves and springs already fitted to save labour costs.

I have seen only the head but the seats are pitted and displaced in the casting, that's not good prospect for the valves.

Agree, also we're been quoted silly money for a used head in Spain.

Doing so.

Many thanks

Reply to
Yuki

Have a look at

I have no connection with them but source most of my bits and pieces for my Tdi

300

They are knowledgeable and helpful

DieSea

Reply to