Heated Rear Window - 1992 Defender

Can anyone tell me where the voltage sensitive switch is? My HRW doesn't work. There is power on the switch, but when turned on there is no heat and no warning light. The fuses are OK. The only circuit diagram I've been able to find shows a voltage sensitive switch, where is it? Under the fuses there are sockets for 4 relays; the right hand most socket is empty, but has power on some connections. Is this relevant? Finally is there a complete circuit for the '92 (J) Defender anywhere on the web? The one I've found does not have things like the HRW switch on it, merely a reference to another drawing. TIA, Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

I seem to recall that the one on our rangie would not work when the bulb had blown.....

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In article , Gordon writes

Behind the dash.

follow the wiring from the HRW switch.

Reply to
marc

its behind the dash, right hand side, fastened to the bulkhead. mine packed up also, the black and slate wire is a negative feed into the unit, it comes out of the unit to earth. to fix mine i simply earthed out the black&slate wire before it went into the voltage sensitive switch. Problem solved (for me anyway).

only thing is dont forget to turn it off manually otherwise you'll melt the HRW.

Reply to
Jon Kelly

On both my '89 and '91 rangie the connection point to the rear windows was at fault. Pop the rear window and you will find a wire going to each the left and right upper corners. Make sure you have a good earth, turn on the HRW then...Check for voltage at the blade connector, if voltage present then check for voltage at the rear window's solder connection, if voltage is present then the HRW should work, if no voltage then repair the connection points. On both of my autos I had to strip back the insulation and reconnect the wires coming from the headliner to the connectors at the window. I was able to use the original blade connectors. I suspect that over time the thin piece of copper metal breaks within the rubber insulation from the opening and closing of the rear gate. Good Luck.

Reply to
Jack Kerouac