Height of lasndrover - still more

Sorry about this but the thread got a bit diverted, so didn't get fully answered.

The problem. Defender 90 Softtop. How to get it into the garage with an upandover door which gives just 6ft (1.85m) clearance.

Raising the roof or changing the door of a garage in the middle of a row is not an option, nor is cutting a pair of 7ins grooves in the floor nor letting down the tyres.

I emailed the company that offers pump-up air suspension, but I haven't yet got confirmation that fully-let-down the height would be below 6ft.

I understand that to take off the top will require removing the cover, remove all the supporting metalwork, drop the screen forwards, wind the windows down a bit. All this would take 15 to 20 minutes to take down or put up and be difficult without a helper.

I don't yet know if there's a rollover bar on a Defender 90 softtop, if not why not, if so how tall is it, would it have to come off, how?

My insurance company charges significantly different if the vehicle is regularly garaged or regularly parked outside. Besides I've currently got three adjacent garages in the row of thirteen and I'd it'll be silly to buy a motor which won't fit!

Reply to
SE London

I had the same sort of insurance problem when i moved from Hertfordshire to Norfolk, my other car and motor bike insurance went down quite a bit, but firebond who insured my defender at the time(which was usually parked on the drive in Herts) refused to insure it if it was to be parked on the road in Norfolk. I changed insurance company to Adrian Flux who were happy to insure it while parked on the road and it cost less than i was paying firebond. So it might be worth shopping around for another quote.

GGJ

Reply to
GGJ

I've just heard that there is a substantial rollbar inside the vehicle, at the height of 6ft 6ins.

So it is the pump up suspension of nothing I guess.

Changing insurance company is not feasible as it will result in the cost of my other vehicle going up (I've checked).

Thanks everyone for your help

Mind you, no reply from air suspension chap yet.

Reply to
SE London

On or around Tue, 2 Mar 2004 04:40:02 -0000, "SE London" enlightened us thusly:

check the height to the top of the windscreen, you might not need to fold the screen - the top of the roof is quite a bit higher

hood and sticks are not too hard to get off.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , SE London writes

Would winding the windows down help? Aren't you stuck with the top of the door frame anyway? Series doors would help because you could just take the tops off.

I'm trying to find storage for my Ex-MoD 109 while it undergoes some work. At the moment it's about 6'2" at the back (it's on extended hangers so could drop it slightly perhaps).

You need to worry about more than the garage door size depending on the internal construction, some have framework holding the roof up lower than the door frame.

Best idea I came up with was an ex-shipping container from 250+ UKP for 'used' if I had anywhere to put one. Anybody gone down this route?

Reply to
John Halliwell