Help: buying an 88" rag-top

Firstly, I have posted this message on two forums, so please accept my apologies if you've already read it, however it was suggested to me that this is the best place to get some advice, so here goes...

Next summer I'll be moving to Napoli, Italy, and I'm going to need something rugged and reliable to get me there, and to use while I live there (hopefully for good). I am strongly considering an 88" rag-top (don't like hard tops, don't want a truck cab. The rag-top is ideal for summertime).

The thing is, I don't have a ton of cash to spare. So it's got to be reliable and as economical as possible, and also survive a 1,600 mile drive to the south of Italy. In the summer. Carrying me, my dog, and a couple of boxes of my posessions.

Naturally I was thinking diesel is the way to go. I don't really like the standard 4-pot diesel that came with the SIII. Agonisingly slow, ear-burstingly noisy and not that economical. I am therefore considering a replacement engine.

Bearing in mind that I am not overly well-off, and my need for reliability, easy access to parts, and economy, I was thinking that the Transit 2.5 diesel is the way to go, especially as there are tons of them all over the place. What problems might this present re. fitting the engine/gearbox into the SIII chassis? It has also been suggested to me that a Perkins 2L diesel from a Montego is the way to go?

I am open to any suggestion for a reliable easy-to-fit diesel engine (and

5-speed gearbox) suitable for an SIII.

I would also probably be buying a left-hander since it will most likely spend the rest of its life in Italy. Would this make things difficult if doing an engine replacement? If need be I could just get a right-hander and use it there.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, insight or anything else to say, I would be exceedingly grateful.

Regards

Colin

Reply to
colin.

so colin. was, like...

Perkins Prima from a scrap Montego Turbo seems to be the way to go. Same power as a Land Rover diesel but 30mpg. Google for it - there's a LOT of helpful stuff out there. Series 2 club has a link to it all.

Richard Brookman

Sherpa 2.5 diesels are an easy swap too and give you a bit more go than a standard diesel. I'm getting upper 30's mpg out of mine at the moment! (but i currently have a half blocked fuel pipe so am driving very slowly!) Under normal driving i get low 30's.

Reply to
Tom Woods

| Perkins Prima from a scrap Montego Turbo seems to be the way to go. Same | power as a Land Rover diesel but 30mpg. Google for it - there's a LOT of | helpful stuff out there. Series 2 club has a link to it all.

Wow, thanks for that. Didn't know it was quite so easy a swap! I guess the next step is to look for a presentable-condition 88 and a working Montego diesel engine. 35+mpg will be rather nice.

Reply to
colin.

On or around Tue, 4 Oct 2005 21:48:33 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

non-turbo prima has the same power as a 2¼ D, the turbo one is a useful upgrade :-)

FWIW, and it may be different if you're looking to use it abroad cos of cheaper diesel fuel, the 2¼ D is not worth having - marginally better economy than the 2¼ P but slower and noisier.

engine swapsies... Perkins prima, Transit DI, Daihatsu 2.5D or 2.8D are all good. Daihatsus are a good bet - bombproof engine and the trucks rot like a rotten thing, so plenty about. Engine and box can be fitted with a bit of fiddling but you need to sort your handbrake in that case.

I know someone with a tatty 2¼ P ragtop. gearbox is out of it at the moment, I forget why, mebbe to swap for a better one. Chassis is in need of work.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 04 Oct 2005 22:02:00 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

Sherpa 2.5D is almost identical to the LR 2.5D from the 90/110 and is a useful improvment on the 2¼.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 04 Oct 2005 23:28:40 GMT, "colin." enlightened us thusly:

quite a bunch of monty-turbos on ebay. Also look for maestro vans - mostly non-turbo but similar power output to the 2¼ D and more efficienmt engine design.

Same engine in some Sherpa 200-series, as well. Look for 2-litre diesel ones. proabbly an easier swap, too - in the sherpa, it's inline mounted.

Reply to
Austin Shackles