1999 Rag Top Replacement Help

I plan on replacing it myself in the August-September time frame. Probably with what is there, black vinyl, glass with defoster.

Any suggestions on where to purchase a replace top for my 1999? Where to get installation for dummies instructions?

Thanks,

- Pat

Reply to
Pat Dreiding

If I were to go through the trouble to replace a top on an M2, I'd *especially* look at the canvass-style top that appeared in 2003...

I'm pretty sure I've seen a description of changing a top on miata.net or Leon's page, or both.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Various descriptions are at miata.net. Except mine. ;) Mine is at

Feel free to e-mail me. Note however that I am traveling at the moment, so my access may be erratic for a bit.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Where in the world are you? Anywhere near the SF Bay Area? If so, email me, perhaps I can buy you a coffee/beer/wine/soda...

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

So where's the trip going this year?

Reply to
Per K. Nielsen

Apparently Alabama at the moment but otherwise not known...

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Actually, it is quite a lot of fun *not* to have a destination. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Reply to
jimuntch

The rain rail is easily damaged when installing, but I do not know how it would get damaged on an original top. It is not such a big deal to take off the carpet (do not pull on the carpet to get off the plastic "nails"; use a fork or equivalent) and unscrew the nuts holding the brackets. Then gently pry open the rain rail and check for garbage or damage. Damage can be fixed with electricians tape.

Other ideas: (1) Check the rubber weather strips around the window. Their position is adjustable, but mark the original position first before unscrewing anything. (2) You might have tiny holes in the side of the top. The reason is the top material getting pinched at the point where the top frame hits its stop. There are updated brackets that avoid this. See TSB at finishline.com (Or is that finishlineperformance.com?)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I appreciate all your inputs. I will reconsider the vinyl option.

Hopefully when you respond to this post, please consider my question "Any suggestions on where to purchase a replacement top for my 1999?"

TIA,

- Pat

Reply to
Pat Dreiding

I've done that a time or two, in my youth, and, yes, it is indeed.

Have a great time wherever you're headed ;-)

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers