HELP!-Fuel Gauge stopped working.

The petrol gauge on my V8 D1 stopped working today, suddenly dropped from

1/4 full to empty and won't rise. Any ideas where I start looking for the fault. I was on an off road day so the car was getting a good workout at the time.
Reply to
Andy

Wires broke on the sender .. if it's at all like the diesel .. ;)

Take the carpets out from the boot, undo the six screws over the plate, undo the fuel lines (dunno if the petrol ones might be pressurised?) and undo the large collar on the sender unit. Lift it out and the float will drop, look next to the support pillar there's a wiper plate, with a small lead going to the float arm, this will have broike but it's an easy soldering fix .. ;)

Assembly, as they say, is the reverse of dis-assembly .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Nice one Paul, thanks.

Reply to
Andy

DONT SOLDER IT ON THE CAR FFS!

Reply to
Nige

Or if you do, get a video ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

So doing it by candle light whilst smoking a cigar is not a good idea then???

Reply to
Andy

I live 300 yards from you :(

Reply to
Nige

You could quite literally get a front seat then.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

My diesel SWB had a prob with the sender.. on inspection the float had filled with fuel - and I couldn't get it out! Simple fix.

Reply to
Alan Pond

Drill a hole in it to let the fuel out :-)

Reply to
EMB

....and drive upside down for a few miles :-)

Reply to
asdf

On or around 15 Nov 2009 18:46:57 GMT, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

and watch those pipe connections, they can be rusty as f*ck.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

For once an easy job!!! Removed the inspection plate (screws came straight out) and found the multi-plug going into the sender had come loose, clipped it back on whilst adding a cable tie to prevent a repeat and bingo :-)

Reply to
Andy

Nice one .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

You should be OK, so long as you don't use one of them gas powered jobs.

Reply to
GbH

All together:- Jammy Sod!

Reply to