Hole in Turbo pipe - I think!!

I drive an X-Reg Discovery TD5. Today I started hearing some whistling/air noise (similar to a heater fan) when accelerating. After having a good look around I notice that there is a hole in the pipe from/to (?) the turbo, and this seems to tie in with when it happens. I probably can't get parts or take it to a garage until the weekend. Am I damaging the Landie in any way by still running it? There doesn't seem to be any loss of performance at the moment.

Thanks for advice or a better suggestion as to what the sound could be.

Reply to
Cymro Gwirion

Gaffer tape seems a good idea for now!!

Cau y twll!!

Reply to
StaffBull

It could be where some sensor fits, I suppose, but if it looks like damage that's a likely cause.

A few years ago I came across an instance of rats chewing on pipework, and they also did a bit of damage to electrical insulation. But that vehicle had been stood in a shed for a while. Still, have a good look with that possibility in mind.

If it's on the inlet side of the turbo, bung a bit of heavy tape over the hole. I don't know if you can get enough stick to hold the pressure.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Turbo hose on Td4 ripped whilst towing a caravan on the M62. Performance went down to 40mph max. LR assistance had no spare (they can't carry everything!) so he taped it up to get us home. Worked a treat!!!

Reply to
90ninety

Don;t operate the car without fixing the hole somehow. Doing so will result in overspinning the turbo and potentialy damaging it.

A quick repair is to wrap a couple of layers of gaffer tape about an inch left and right of the hole and better still use a jubille clip over the area right where the hole is. The wider the jubillee clip the better results you will get in rendering the hose airtight again.

I have found that a product called QuickTape is excellent on such occasions either for high pressure turbocharger hoses or water cooling system ones. I have on purpose left it for more than 10.000 Km on the main water hose of my AUDI RS2 (while having a brand new spare and 5 litres of engine cooling liquid in the trunk) just to check its performance and whether it would give away finally after staying for so long. I ended up replacing the hose on the last major service of 120.000 just because I got bored waiting for the QuickTape to give way (which it didn't)

I have also checked in on a torn intercooler to intake manifold hose on one of my Disco 200Tdi 's and it performed faultesly.

I guess it is a good practice having one in the vehicle's toolbox and that I why I have ordered a few rolls for me and other fellow members of the LR Club of Greece.

The product can be purchased online from

They also sell a product called SEAL-UL which works wonders for cracked cylinder heads, engine blocks and chaffed cylinder head flanges. Have tried on both V8 and Tdi engines and it did exactly as promised sealing the cracks and stopping the loss/consumption of water.

I now represent them for Greece so I do have a connection but those two products are exactly what they say and can really save you money, time or frustration when in need of such a repair.

Take care Pantelis Giamarellos LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

This sounds no different to any of the other self-amalgamating tapes around.

Some are cheaper and more readily available e.g.

Aerial installers are potential sources of supply of this type of tape.

Reply to
Dougal

Yep, we use this regularly, and the price of 5.99 GBP is too much, we get it for 5.99 EUR.

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS