How can you.....

Does anyone know how you can lock the center differential (transfer case) on a all wheel drive Discovery? It's a 1999 built for USA with

4.0 V8 with automatic trans. I've read the entire owners manual until my eyes are puffy, studied the drivetrain from the underside with the vehicle on a hoist, and I can't see how to get the transfer case to lock-up. There is only 1 cable. It goes into low range fine. I've pushed the downhill decent button too, still, no lock-up. The owners manual discusses the the light showing transfer case lockup.. and this vehicle has the light, I see it light up when it goes through the test mode.

Thanks in advance, Mark

91 Ford Ranger 97 F 250 Finally...99 Landrover Discovery
Reply to
Mark

The later model Discoverys don't have a diff lock. They use Electronic Brake Distributiion or Electronic Traction Control depending on what the flavour of the week is (they are both the same thing - pulse the brakes on any wheel that seems to be spinning). In theory the ETC does everything a diff lock would do, but not quite as well.

There *is* a screw on the center diff to lock it, but if memory serves this is only for "service" use.

Paul

Reply to
Paul S Brown

Not quite true - they've reintroduced it now, due to customer demand.

Try this:

David

Reply to
David French

So basically, they fitted ETC, and simply left the linkages and lever off?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Correct. I know a couple of people who have manufactured their own mechanical diff lock levers which work pretty well.

Regards

Steve G (remove the nospam to email me)

Reply to
Steve G

I'm told by a LR engineer you can buy the bits for a new model and bung them on instead.

Reply to
David French

That sounds very possible as the gearbox in the latest version is the same as the S2-pre 2003 model.

Regards

Steve G (remove the nospam to email me)

Reply to
Steve G

That's OK then!

Reply to
Nikki

Does this mean it is possible to completely lock the diff on a series 1? please expand...

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve Lomax

I just meant that the easiest way to get at the operating mechanism on a S1 Discovery is by taking out the centre console.

Whether you can permanently fix it so that the diff lock is on all the time I can't comment on. Why would you want to do that anyway? Surely if you want the diff lock on just push the transfer box lever to the left - hey presto!

Or have I missed the question? Just like bleedin' University Challenge ... I don't even understand the names of the colleges - d'oh!

Regards

Steve G (remove the nospam to email me)

Reply to
Steve G

Yes, as far as I know.

You push the 'difflock' lever over into the 'difflock' position.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Nelson

Mark

Have a look here this may help.

Its a US site but same for CDL...

Cheers Mike from Oz

Reply to
Mike

All Discovery models have manual diff locks - even those that don't have the facility to operate them :-)

Of course, the next generation might be completely different.

Regards

Steve G (remove the nospam to email me)

Reply to
Steve G

Not quite true.. There was a limited time run that dont have the CDL "screw" on top of the transfer case.

Also ALL NAS Disco's since 2002 (IIRC) have blank castings where the actuator would bolt on.

It pays to check!

Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Steve Lomax

The diff lock on the Discovery locks the front and rear prop shafts together. On a good, level dry surface (e.g. dry tarmac road) that effectively locks all four wheels together but on a loose surface (e.g. mud or gravel) you can still end up with drive to just one wheel on each axle - as you can with any centre-diff-lock system without traction control.

Regards

Steve G (remove the nospam to email me)

Reply to
Steve G

Mike,

Sorry, but if you read what I wrote again you'll see that we're saying the same thing - I did check :-)

All Discoverys have a transfer box. Inside that transfer box there is a manually actuated diff-lock. Not all Discoverys have the mechanism to operate that lock.

Regards

Steve G (remove the nospam to email me)

Reply to
Steve G

- I did check :-)

Yes agreed but there isnt even a point to retro fit to on some whilst others are easy and have the actuator bolt protruding from the casting.

Other than that no problem!!!

Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike