How do I change my own oil?

I have a Land Rover Disco 2 Series '00, I want to change the oil myself, can anyone tell me how please? Also I need to change my brakes, if anyone knows of an inexpensive place to buy brake pads please let me know! Thank you!

-Jessica-

Reply to
j.a.moncivais

Td5 or V8? Either way it is pretty simple. Also, the brakes are VERY easy on the D2. The brakes are so easy it's a matter of taking the wheel off & undoing one bolt, swing the caliper up or down & pull out the pads!!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

On or around 14 Aug 2006 13:17:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com enlightened us thusly:

by all means hunt for a good price for brake pads, but don't buy cheap ones. If that sounds like a contradiction, what I mean is, buy known decent brand pads. good ones are not very expensive and it's something not worth taking chances on, IMHO.

We do have a resident spares type chap, Richard, Beamends LR spares - whose prices are pretty competitive.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Remove drain plug and let the old oil out, then refit drain plug. Pour new oil in the hole at the top of the engine. Optionally (but recommended) inbetween those 2 instructions unscrew the oil filter and replace it with a new one (they only cost a few quid/dollars so I feel it is pointless doing an oil change without a filter change too) :)

If you want to start doing car maintenance, go buy a manual for the car and/or find a mechanically inclined friend and ask them nicely to give you a hand.

Reply to
Tom Woods

For simplicity this hole has a cap marked 710.

Remember to fill the new filter with oil before fitting, On a V8 it can be advisable to make sure the old and new filters are swapped quickly, so fill the new filter before taking off the old one and do it where you don't care if you spill all the contents of the old filter, ie not on your nice new sand coloured porous block paving!. You do this so that when you first start the engine full of your nice new clean oil, you don't have to wait for the filter to fill before the bearings (and hydraulic tappets) get some oil. If its a V8, the oil pump had a habit of draining if the filter's left off for any length of time and in their wisdom LR fitted a pump that doesn't always self prime!

Reply to
GbH

Where are you in www world?

Reply to