How do I remove moss growing on canvas?

Moss growing on canvas

It's been so warm and wet in Manchester (UK) this summer that the new canvas on my 1975 Series 3 is turning green.

Any ideas how to kill the moss without damaging the waterproofing?

Roundup?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In message , snipped-for-privacy@b.com writes

Awning cleaners from a caravan shop.

Reply to
hugh

"Steve" wrote in news:cljicm$878$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com:

Don't think so. If it's the green mould that grows on stone and concrete, Jeyes Fluid or bleach will do it (but better test on a small area in case it does your canvas too!).

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Some random thoughts on a solution :))

Chlorine _will_ certainly do the trick. But start off wiping a very diluted solution on a small bit of canvas and 'work it up', since higher levels might destroy the fabric. ( No idea how fragile your canvas is!) Rinse after it's done!

First off, on your ( delicate ? ) canvas, maybe try a 'baby nappy cleaner' like "Nappisan". The other end of the scale is a try and error dilution of a bottle of 'chlorine bleach', or even swimming pool chlorine which I use to rid the 'green' on lower bricks on my house, clean a tent canvas from time to time and use daily in my pool. Chlorine is a #1 algicide that bleaches and rids the 'green menace' almost immediately. 'Granulated' chlorine will leave a calcium carbonate residue so probably better to use liquid, though I find the 'granulated' helps the 'scrubbing' ( on bricks !...... but this would be a bit 'severe' on your canvas :))

Maybe you could slosh it over with a sponge first _then_ **make sure you rinse it all off**. A weak solution applied periodically will certainly keep the 'green' away.

...... random thoughts 'off' button pressed!! :)))

... frodo.

Reply to
frodo