ht cables discovery series 2. v8

Just found cause of misfire on my yr 2000 discovery 4.0 disco. cap has come off ht cable. so ok simple I thought just change the 1, any tips on getting cable out of the "coil end" don't seem to be a lot of room? previous owner has fitted magnicor leads (its lpg) ok to change to normal high quality lead for the one I am replacing ? (assuming can get it out) any tips please. plugs seem to be in v good condition 50000 miles not yet been replaced what should the gap be set at?

many thanks for any help,

off to Halfords in the morning feeler gauge and a lead

Al Clarke

Reply to
a clarke

The disco II has a very clever misfire detection system built into the Motronic ECU, I'd advise keeping leads as matched sets. To replace, remove upper part of inlet manifold to gain access....!! With LPG, I use NGK Iridium plugs, pre-gapped at 1.1mm, no wear after 30,000 miles. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

thanks

Al C

Reply to
a clarke

That all depends on whether the gas installers replaced it or not! You can get away with using the gasket between the top and bottom of the inlet manifold twice, but if unsure then get one from your local dealer beforehand. There's a stud that supports the water pipe on the drivers side, if you lock 2 nuts together on it and unscrew it, that makes the removal simpler. Remember the 8mm headed bolts on the coil pack mounting bracket, the 2 lower ones (if fitted - a barsteward to get in!) go into the lower half of the manifold and the two uppers the upper half. The water hoses at the throttle body can be clamped off on removal, no need to drain coolant. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Me thinks somebody has done the same before me as the 2 bolts on top of coil packs are missing I will replace on reassembly, I think it may have been the people who fitted the magnicore's as the gas install is only a single point injection into the air inlet hosing, ( is about 10mpg on gas okay) I have made 2 small water leaks that I will put right when all done ( what a game eh, just to change a lead ) any idea where I could buy just one magnicor lead ( I am in Coventry) I have ordered a comp set of normal quality leads they will be here on tue. sorry for so many questions, many thanks for all of your help

Al C

Reply to
a clarke

Cowboys!

No way! To be honest, the ecu on your engine is way too complex for a single-point setup, the thor system (Bosch Motronic) will never run correctly on anything other than SGI, in fact I'd be very surprised if it doesn't suffer from backfires due to the overrun cutoff strategies within the ecu as it cuts spark as well as fuel. My own DII auto returns around

14mpg on Gas, 15 to 16 on petrol for similar daily driving. It has an OMVL Dream 21-N SGI system.

Sorry, I have no idea as I don't use them - I think they are totally over-rated for what they are. I use genuine landrover leads and have no issues at all. Have you tried RPI, they seem to sell a lot of them?

No probs. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

thanks everso much for your help today one final question how much is an "OMVL Dream 21-N SGI system."

thanks

Al C

Reply to
a clarke

A front-end kit (different vapouriser, ecu, wiring, injectors and pipework), installed, is about £1200. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

done all running sweet now, many thanks ....................................... untill my next batch of questions lol

al c

Reply to
a clarke