HUGE auto box oil leak on 300tdi disco.

Thought I would ask here before anything else.......

On the auto box on my 300tdi disco there is a big metal pipe that comes out the bottom of the box just behind the bell housing and it is leaking at a rate of 1 drip every second!

It got SO low before I noticed it that the TEMP warning light came on for the gearbox! I had to put 4 litres in it to get it even to show on the dipstick!

SO... My question is this...... Have any of u had this happen before and what's the cure? is there a washer in there or what? I tries doing it up with a spanner and it is tight! What u think? fractures pipe/union or washer? (if there's one in there)

Also what's the gearbox capacity for oil ?

Plz help!

MC.

Reply to
Mark C.

On or around Wed, 26 Apr 2006 21:08:27 GMT, "Mark C." enlightened us thusly:

that's the filler pipe and it can be frighteningly tight, bearing in mind what it's attached to.

full capacity including TC is about 16 pints, or about 9 litres, ISTR drain-and-refill takes about 6l, BICBW.

I think it's a simple tapered flange joint - it's not under pressure. clean and dry it to see where it's actually leaking from. could be the pipe is fractured.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Austin! I will have a good look at it when I get a chance, fingers crossed!

TBH I think it could need a pipe judging by the amount its leaking!!!!!

Cheers!

MC.

Reply to
Mark C.