Omega Auto Box Oil Leak

Hiya Folks Problem as title. P reg 2.5 V6 Auto. Oil leak from box but only seems to leak when used hard! Driven quietly below say 3k revs its not a problem but use it harder and I can smell the oil burning on the exhaust pipes. Its got that EP90 smell to it. I first thought it was the rocker gasket's because I saw a puff of smoke from under the bonnet but it must be oil getting flung from the flywheel making a bid for freedom! Got it booked in for inspection on Friday but anyone got a clue as to what I can expect? oh before I forget its got 58000miles on the clock and from the history I got with it its been main dealer looked after most of its life till I got it and yes I did change the cambelt! Thanx Trev

Reply to
Trev

I sincerely hope not since ATF is nothing like EP90.

Autos can leak from the same places as manuals - front and rear seals. Add to that round the selector shaft, downshift cable or modulator valve if it has either or both, filler tube, speedo drive, sump, pipes to oil cooler, etc. And can be hard to find the actual source as it gets everywhere.

Just a general guide as I don't know your box.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Trev

Reply to
Trev

I bet it's from the cam covers and your breathers are blocked causing the pressure to build up as the revs rise and force oil out of the seals. What's the engine oil level like?

There isn't really anywhere oil from the gearbox could get to under the bonnet that I can think of unless it's the pipes to the oil cooler, they run along the drivers side and you can see where they go into the radiator near the headlamp. There isn't a fill or dipstick tube for the gearbox but there is a breather pipe. It's about half an inch thick made from hard plastic and is usually clipped under the scuttle somewhere.

Reply to
rp