i think my discovery is dead

I'll get a cup of tea your head gasket has gone (back LH corner looking in from the front). If you have not used all the oil (it would seem not if it starts doing it again!) then it is unlikely there will be any further damage. If you *really* need to start it again top up the oil first. To stop it, put the handbrake on and the footbrake, stick it in 5th and let the clutch off - it will stall easily. Allow a bit of space in case the hadbrake's not

100% - there's no need to go into trees etc.

This is a well know problem at the sort of milage you car is at, and while being a bit scary don't panic! Bearing in mind the possibility of having burned all the oil (that's what the vast smoke cloud was), a new head gasket is all that will be required

- it most likely won't happen again.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Another who didn't read the OP properly. B-)

"(300tdi 1995 auto)".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Stick it in Drive then, same difference....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It is almost certainly a head gasket, my 200TDI did exactly the same, except mine is a manual and I could stall it. Check the oil level, you will find that it has drunk it all. Top it back up and try to start it, it will run for a little while before it gets into a run-away state. The gasket will have blown between a cylinder and an oil way. You may get away with just replacing the gasket, but the head may need skimming.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

On or around Fri, 26 May 2006 10:35:40 +0100, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

erm... not on any auto I've ever had. converter stall at about 1800 on the

4HP22 in the earlier rangies. You *can* stall an auto, but not under those conditions.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hmmm. That's when it's running with full rack on diesel: it would be nice to think it might develop less torque on engine oil, delivered to the cylinder in rather bigger drops than it's designed for. Even if could hold 2000 rpm, might it just break the faster - more oil - faster rather vicious spiral to on-display conrods? Things might get a bit warm in the gearbox if it didn't work, I must admit.

Reply to
Autolycus

I can offer you a tow if you need one - I'm in the Methwold area. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Hi Tony Many thanks for your kind offer but the AA have done the deed Cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones