iCylinder head 300tdi

i have just changed the heater glow plugs on my 300 tdi disco engine. after i had gunked the engine prior to working on it, i noticed that when the engine fired up afterwards, there is oil around the bottom of the pins that the clamps for the injectors pivot on.....if this makes sense.

does indicate porousity of thge cylinder head, surely the boffins at landrover didnt machine the holes all the way through for these pins and fit stepped pins.

Also when i removed the glow plugs from 2&3 cylinders, there was copious oil on the stems of the glow plugs almost as if this was exposed, within the head, to the oil ways.

Is anyone familiar enough with the head layout to confirm that this is okay, sounds a bit iffy to me.

Hope this makes sense, a fine bottle of Campo Viejo Rioja is assisting me to type this.

Thanks

Reply to
Tony L

My guess is old oil around the bolts boiling up to resurface. As for the glow plugs and oil... If it isn't smoking then dunner worry.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I had this, leaking rocker cover gasket, it gets all over thew gaff

Reply to
Nige

Ohh and while I think of it, the engine breather appears to have a grove for an o-ring where it goes into the head. This was conspicous by its absence. Having cleaned everything up, I guess a lot of oil vapour /dribblings could have come from this. The o-ring must be very thin material as its not much of a groove, I wrapped a few turns of PTFE tape around it, and now it seems more oil tight than it was previously.

Whats actually inside the breather is it just an chamber with a mesh element inside?

Thanks again

Reply to
Tony L

If It's what I think you are describing. A black plastic cylinder that sticks on the side of the head just under the rocker cover, with one pipe to the inlet, and another down to the sump. It's a cyclone based oil mist removal device.

Just think of it as a Dyson! The inevitable oil mist is collected and most makes it way draining back to the sump as liquid oil, while the main "breathing" gasses go to the inlet to be burnt (again.) TDi's can be heavy breathers at times, so this is one way to prevent exessive oil loss, and exhaust smoke/catalist comtamination (where fitted)

They do seem sometimes to get clogged up. The last one that did that on my 200, I filled with Petrol and sloshed about a few times, till it came out clean. Put it back, no more random huge puf's of blue smoke! Mine does have an 'O' ring too btw.

It was a cheaper easier fix than a new turbo, that was what everyone else was telling me at the time! Not that turbo's don't fail some times, but check the easy/low cost stuff first.

Regards.

Dave B.

Reply to
Dave Baxter