It lives - legally!

Just taxed my SIII today (kept it on an 'N' plate, too much hassle otherwise) and driven it back from a friend's house, where it was being stored after being fixed up mostly by him. I owe him, big time!

I think the speedo is out because the engine was revving quite highly on a standard box with 235/85R16 tyres while the speedo read 45mph and I was catching cars who should have been going a lot faster than 45mph.

22mph feels about right for 30mph.

There are a few "your speed is..." automatic speed limit signs near where I live so I should be able to get a better idea when I drive to work tomorrow.

Engine runs sweetly, it's weird being able to change into 2nd or 1st while still moving without having to double declutch. Tracking feels way out though. After the motorbike (0-60-0mph in less than 10 seconds) it feels a little odd though.

It's nice to be back into the 4x4 fraternity again!

Oh, there are some knackered leaf springs going spare. The bushes and a couple of short shackles are still in and will need burning/cutting out. If anyone's in the Tebay/Kendal area (England) they are free to a good/bad home. They're not worth selling or making a special journey for but someone may be able to reclaim a few leaves from them if they live nearby. If not, they're going scrap.

Oh, and the engine crane is back home so if a certain person is still interested in the V8 - it's yours.

Reply to
PDannyD

It always takes me a little while to adjust to the landy after driving the car for a bit - and vice versa. When i first bought my car around the new year and got into it after driving only the landy for 3 months or so it was really wierd (and the car felt incredibly quick!)

My speedo is out such that:

30 real mph = 25 indicated 40 real = 33-35 indicated 60 real = 50 indicated

Most other people i know have speedos that seem to be out by similar amounts, so this should give you a rough guide.

The police in cheshire have recently bought a 'your speed is' mobile display which they dump in a different place every day. I see it 2 or 3 times a week. Its mighty useful for reminding you where speeds are on the speedo! (you can also see how fast the cyclists are going when they put it outside work and you can sit and watch it. There are some speedy old women in sandbach!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

if the certain person is not interested in the V8 - how much you asking for it???

cheers

rav

PDannyD wrote:

Reply to
rav_k

I don't believe those "your speed is" thingies as they always tell me to slow down when my needle is exactly on 30

Reply to
Larry

I'd trust the needle on the landrover speedo less that any automated speed thingy!

Reply to
Tom Woods

so Larry was, like...

I have read recently that the Police believe that those "your speed is" or "40 slow down" machines are much more effective at slowing traffic than a Gatso. But they don't raise revenue, so.. Personally, I like 'em. Lots of fun.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

That's deffo true,

i have 3 points on my licence due to me doing 47 in a 40 zone somewhere around hull last year,

Havent got a clue exactly where it happened, can't remember seeing the gatso, or the flash, and i must have carried on along that road at that speed simply because i didn't realise my speed had creeped up,

i only found out i should have slowed down a bit 11 days later,

now if the gatso or what ever it was that got me was one of those tell your speed displays, i'd have been told there and that i was over the speed limit by 7 mph, and i could have adjusted my speed accordingly...

And so would everyone else on that road as all i can recall from that trip was the roads were all busy, and i was just keeping up with traffic... guess that's why the gatso was used, all those 60 quid's going to the police chiefs coffers, much better than warning motorists they're slightly over the limit and asking them to slow down a bit.

Reply to
CampinGazz

On or around Thu, 7 Jul 2005 22:22:06 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

indeed. and I bet they do work better - the gatso doesn't tell you you're going too fast, it punishes you for it. Observations on the bit locally where they've got a "30 slow down" thing that lights up are that many people do slow down. Some, like me, put 2 fingers up at it when it comes on. But then again, if the timing is such that people are all around the school entrance, I slow down to well under 30. If it's on Sunday, or in the evening, with no-one in sight, I go at whatever speed I fancy.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yeah, I definately like the 'your speed is' sign that cheshire police are using at the moment. It only ever seems to be used in 30 and 40 zones in the built up bits of villages and towns. Which is where speed checks should be done!

I have also never seen it sited right after a limit change, which is where most of the cameras round here are. It's always been well into the limited area. Rather than just trying to catch people who miss the speed limit change its notifying people who havent slowed down where it is fairly obvious that you should have done.

It has definately made me more considerate about what the speed limit actually is, as i often tend to drift over it without noticing (which i'm keeping a check on now!)

Hmm, i suppose that this sign is as close as we are going to get to a proper verbal 'slow down' warning. Since more police officers out doing this is pretty unlikely to happen, i'm well in favour of more of these 'your speed is' thingys.

There are also those little wires across the road now in a lot of the places that have the sign. Are these for doing traffic surveys? Perhaps trying to work out how effective it is?

Reply to
Tom Woods

They are indeed traffic surveys, volume and speed of traffic.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Not a lot. Best inspect it first though.

Reply to
PDannyD

My logic tells me they want you to go a lot lot slower than 30 so they come on at 25 or less.

Reply to
Larry