Jeremy Fearn Power Upgrade

Yes but the difference between a hot day, say 25C and a cold one, Say 5C is only a difference of 20C which is only a small difference compared to between the hot and cool side of the intercooler. I think I am right in saying that the cool side is usually around 50C in an engine running maximum boost. And remember that maximum boost could well occur at less than

1500erpm under load.

It is certainly not obvious to me. The cooling fan moves a large volume of cooling air even when stationary.

As soon as it warms up (which it will if there is no air

But there is always air movement when it is needed even with electric fan equipped vehicles like my TD6.

There will never be a constant supply, it varies with speed and particularly where the fan switches on and off. The intercooler is effectively a radiator and will cool by heat soak for a while even without significant air flow. In any case, many [most] modern electronically controlled engines will have an intake air temperature sensor which will control the fan indirectly along other systems.

That depends on whether the intercooler was at its limit to start with. Most diesel intercoolers are not fitted to enhance performance as much as to lower emissions. This usually leaves a fair degree of scope for tuning without increasing the intercooler size. Apart from which, since we are talking Land Rover here, these vehicles are designed to work hard and to tow hard in adverse conditions and in low gear range with hardly any natural air flow and in high ambient temperatures.

Of course it will get hot. It is a heat exchanger for goodness' sake and it needs air. That is why it is situated in the air flow and usually in the area where air is pulled by the cooling fan. There are exceptions, such as the old Isuzu Trooper 3.1 which had a top mounted intercooler which had no fan. Now this, you would think would be quite ineffective in the adverse conditions I describe above. However I have run this machine for 14 years and towed improbable loads in very hilly conditions and have never seen the power decline. This may be due to the heat soak effect combined with the possibility that the intercooler is there primarily to reduce emissions rather than to allow greater fuel injection leading to more power per-se.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Certainly, they're not designed for high speed after all ;-)

I don't reckon it'll generate full power while stationary (which doesn't contradict what you say), but without figures to back us up I don't think we'll ever get the truth, and personally I'm not bothered enough to go and get the figures, I suspect we've got better things to do ;-) (like sleeping for example)

Digging figures out of my failing memory, my plastic rocket charge air temp goes from about 150 centigrade down to about 60, and that gives a boost of about 80BHP over the non-chargecooled version of the same engine (charge cooler is Lotus's name for their air-to-water intercooler), however it reaches heat saturation quickly if the car's not moving, different design limits to the landy, which has different design limits to an engine in a non-moving vehicle.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

-snip-

Huw, I'm seriously considering one of the '94-'96 3.1 Trooper Bighorn imports since I hate the Jeep Cherokee for towing and I can't afford another 110. I regularly see them go for £2-£3k with reasonably low miles - would this be a good tow vehicle for my 2000kg espresso trailer? Is the Auto box OK? (I don't see many manuals anyway). Most that I see are around 50-70k miles, so would need a new cambelt - are there other things I should be doing to a vehicle with this mileage? Sorry for all the questions...

Reply to
Danny