King Pin or Swivel Pin

At Reggies MOT, whilst my welding was OK, I have an advisory on the Front Nearside "King Pin or bush".

As I said in an earlier post I am a weekend mechanic!

Now my Rover P4 110 has "King Pins" however with the Land Rover having a swivel hub, do I assume that the tester is referring to the upper and lower swivel pins?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Yes - while not actually a king pin on Landrovers, the upper and lower swivel bearings have the same function as a king pin. JD

Reply to
JD

Thanks, now for the supplementary question!

Is it best to replace pin and bearing AND upper and lower at the same time?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

It *might* be as simple as just removing a shim or two to solve the problem.

Reply to
EMB

What is Reggie?

You'll most likely not need pins. If it is beyond the remove 'shims stage' do top and bottom at the same time.

Reply to
Dougal

Sorry, "Reggie the Veggie" is a 1990 2.5TD 110 CSW (running on vegetable oil)

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

If there's enough play to warrant an 'advisory' then the bottom bearing will be worn. Don't mess about removing shims, get them sorted, it's not a hard job. If you come unstuck, you will get all the help you need on here!

Martin

Reply to
Oily

If I remember right, yours has a Railko bush on the top and a taper-roller on the bottom. If the play is at the top, then it could be the upper pin - the Railko swivel pin is inclined to wear a bit (it usually goes a tad oval), but often before this the thrust washer (a disc of some interesting material) that sits under it in the bush is likely to, er, dissapear (as in get turned into an oily mush). Taking out a shim will compensate, probably for quite a while, but really the pin needs to come out, be inspected, and a new thrust washer put in. You can actually do that with the hub in place, but it is heavy! The upper pin housing is surprising robust, but does need to be checked - you can see in it with the upper pin removed.

If the play is at the bottom, then the roller bearing could be, in trouble - but beware, the lower swivel pin relies on the upper being tight - any major slack in the upper pin can make the lower one look knackerd, though usually you'd get oil leaking through the swivel ball oil seal as well. Inspecting the lower bearing without stripping the whole assembly is not easy, but usually only fail when the swivel is being lubricated with water/mud rather than nice clean oil.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd