Small Boast

I'm a bit of a weekend mechanic (although I also build 7.25" steam locomotives as a hobby), so a couple of weeks ago, putting a new crossmember (with extensions) on the Defender 110 CSW was more than I had done in a while.

Anyway, Reggie the Veggie flew through the MOT today, with no advisory's on my welding at all!

Result!

Thanks for all the assistance given by the group on this.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

I expect Reggie and steam locomotives have got together..... you wouldn't have a boiler test in the offing perchance.... ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Could you give me an idea as to how much of a problem it is and whether you remove much to access the rear x member. Mine has a hole about size of fifty pence in it but all the rest is sound

110 98 CSW

John H Tia

Reply to
Hirsty's

John,

It took my son and I three days (elapsed) probably 1.5 days working to replace the crossmember. It is not a minor task, but at the same time it is not a huge task, there's just a lot to do!

If you can repair it in situ, then I would do that, however it was only when I removed the crossmember that I could see exactly how rotten it was and that in fact it was a lot worse than I though it was. You may want to have a close look at yours before you spend time on the what might be a nugatory repair.

If you want a blow by blow account, contact me off group and I'll send you an e-mail.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

|| It is not a minor task, but at the same || time it is not a huge task, there's just a lot to do!

A lot to do - that's how I define a huge task :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around 30 Oct 2006 08:53:41 -0800, "puffernutter" enlightened us thusly:

Well done. I envy you the minirailways, always fancied building one of them around here, although to be honest, I doubt it'd merit live steam, bearing in mind the amount of work invovled.

Reply to
Austin Shackles