v8 coolant temperature sender location

on the 101 the sender for the water temperature is located after the thermostat which means that it doesnt actually start reading for ages after you start the engine. it scares me when i dont see it move after running the truck for 10 minutes! (about the time it takes me to shuffle the fleet round the garden/drive) Is there anywhere else i can move it to?

What goes under the triangular 3 bolt cover just the other side of the 'stat? Assuming there is coolant behind that? can i just drill and tap it (or a thicker replacement) to take a temp sender?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Have a look around for another hole. On the RRC there was a tapping in the manifold below the thermostat outlet elbow - front RH bank, I think.

The triangular cover is where the choke warning light switch was located. It should serve your purpose if no other hole can be found.

Reply to
Dougal

thanks, ill have a good look. couldnt see anything in the dark just now with my torch, but daylight and moving everything off the engine cover should help!

ive always wondered what it was for. ive always seen it blanked off (on 2.25's too) but never nowt in it.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Morphs temp sensor is in the inlet manifold casting, He also doesn't show temp for about 3 or 4 mins and the other day I was in Shelton before it chirped up but then it's much cooler now, and thats with the spare on the front.

On the way back up the Llanberis pass he ran cooler than in traffic on the motorway on route to Eastnor... but then when we went to Eastnor it was about 35 degrees outside.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

can you snap a piccy of where it is please!

Mine is in the bend just after the thermostat. ive fitted a new seperate gauge too so it shouldnt lie or anything.

Reply to
Tom Woods