Land Rover Defender Gearboxes

I've got a Defender 90 with a 200TDI engine. The gearbox is a bit on the random side! - it is very dificult to find third and then when shifting to 5th it doent want to engage. I also have an early Defender with a n/a diesel and I occasionally have similar trouble shifting to

3rd, but its only very occasional and it has done 225,000 miles!!!

Can anyone throw some light on the problem and whether it is an easy fix.

Reply to
tumpfarm

In news: snipped-for-privacy@n33g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk wibbled :

You're not moving the gearlever correctly?

Reply to
GbH

I'm moving the lever corretly it just doesn't want to engage. Granted there is a bit of play in the gate, but even when you fish around it wont select regularly.

Reply to
tumpfarm

It could be the grub screw that holds the yoke at the bottom of the gearstick to selector shaft has come loose - take the carpet (if fitted) off the tunnel, take the gaiter off (unscrew the gearstick knob) and the take out the four bolts that hold the gearstick housing. It should lift off ok (minght need a nudge if the gasket is "glued") without any bits falling out. You can then see the yoke on the end of the shaft - the grub screw is an alley key type thing. If it's loose, a blob of thread lock is a good idea.

The symptoms aren't quite right for the above, but a least if thats's not it you can have a look a everything else while you are there.

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

Thanks for that, the grub screw is tight on the shaft, but I think that the nylon socket within the yoke might be worn and the cause of the problem.

Reply to
tumpfarm