Removal of Dashboard on Disco 1

OK you lot a need a hand. I want to replace a number of bulbs missing on my dashboard. These are the ones behind the heater control unit, the clock and the ones that illuminate the Speedo and Tachometer needles by shining down on them.

Now the help I need is for someone to tell me how I remove the dash to get at them?? Also what bulbs do I need? My Land Rover dealer (god bless his soul) says he has none for them and didn't even offer to get them in for me so I guess I have to look elsewhere.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Hogan

Well you don't need to remove the whole dash. That's a job to be avoided. The heater control panel comes out as a unit. I believe there are some retaining screws hidden behind panels that pop off. Same for the bulge that houses the speedo and tack. I think there are screws along the bottom. After removing them the housing lifts up and slides forwards. Some patient exploration should discover all the fasteners. The clock comes out as a separate unit. You need to slide a couple of credit cards, or similar, along the top and bottom to depress the tabs holding it in place. My experience has been that the bulb only lasts a year and burns out. I fabricated an LED replacement. Much better.

Reply to
Gordon Wedman

On or around Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:37:18 GMT, "Gordon Wedman" enlightened us thusly:

no kidding. you have to do it to get at the heater, and it takes about 4 hours start to finish, dash out, investigate heater (or replace) dash back in. Or it did when I did one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I can't speak specifically about the Disco bulbs but if these are the little 5mm (or thereabouts) diameter bulbs fitted in a plastic bayonet base you need to be aware of LR's extortionate prices.

In all the cases that I have come across the bulb can be removed from the base and sourced separately. It takes a straight axial pull away from the base to extract the bulb. Bulbs are available from the likes of Halfrauds.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:15:06 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

there are 2 kinds of base unit. One kind the bulb comes out of, the other it doesn't. The complete plug in bulb thingies are available other than from LR I think - there are only a few kinds.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Indeed. My brother and I took 4 hours to get my leaky heater core out. Did not actually have to remove the dash from the car, just release it to the point we could move it up the steering column and push the passengers end back far enough to get the core out. Took 6 hours to put it back in. Should have paid more attention / taken photos of the routeing for the wiring and heater control cables. Had to take the heater control panel out a second time to re-arrange the cables before they would work properly. By the way, I believe my earlier note was a bit incorrect on removing the heater panel. I think you have to remove the clock, switch panel, coin tray and ashtray to get at some screws behind which hold in the heater panel.

Reply to
Gordon Wedman