Land Rover Friendly Camp Sites

I find one of the biggest problems travelling around the country is finding decent camp sites where no one turns a hair if I want to boil water in a Kelly Kettle, cook using a cast iron pot and murder some of the local wildlife for tea.

There is nowhere in this Country these days where you can really get away from it all and live at peace with nature and your Kelly Kettle. One of my favourite places is Burnbake Campsite in Dorset,

This place is really laid back, set in woodland with decent facilities, but you don't have neatly laid out pitches and no caravans are allowed.

A sign on the gate says no fires, but at night the place looks like the bit in Henry V where Kenneth Branagh is going round the troop by the light of dozens of fires, which in this case are in barbecue containers and off the ground. Does anyone else know of sites like this around the country, as I'm sure they would be useful for everybody , especially if clubs want to organise weekends with groups of Land Rovers.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

Does anyone else know of sites like this around the country, as I'm

Take a look at

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

hmm, it's a different world over here (Australia). although the distance over here are so huge, you only have to go 1 hour out of melbourne to be at a camp site were your the only person within a couple of kilometres. we really are spoilt for choice here and have a completely different idea of "busy" and "isolated." in many parts you can travel for days without seeing another soul.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

Thats odd - here in England you can't go for 1 hour without meeting an Australian! ;-)

Reply to
Exit

If you know of one that lets caravans on and has a major rabbit problem and would be willing for Bruce to shoot a few, then I'd like to know.

Reply to
Nikki

There won't be any rabbits left if I've been there first! I'm looking forward to experimenting with the possibilitiy of using my roof tent as a high seat. John

Reply to
John Stokes

"John Stokes" made me wince when he wrote news:bfk6b7$p9o$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...

Blimmey...I hope it's got those bendy carbon fibre poles or rabbit holes will be the last thing on your mind if your going to sit on it

;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Hi!

Just have to agree about Burnbake - I went down their with my old 90 and my little tent. Must go again soon. But Land Rover owners do have a tendency to replace rear crossmembers and strip down transfer boxes at the drop of a hat - perhaps that's what makes campsite owners sniffy!

Cheers, RB

Reply to
Prof Rollerball

that's probably a good thing, otherwise you may have to talk to pommies!

(ducking for cover)

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

Well Aussies are failed Pommies. . . . . . ;-)

Reply to
Exit

Like the old joke: Englishman trying to emigrate to Australia is asked "do you have a criminal record" Man replies "I didn't think you still needed one"

Sorry couldn't resist

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Hi

Recently spent 4 nights at the campsite belonging to the Red Lion PH at Wainlode Hill, just north of Gloucester off the A38. There were two of us with 101s, Rapier launcher and tracker trailers killing time between the LRW show at Eastnor Castle and MVT show at Kemble. We rang in advance explaining what we had (well sort of, we didnt go into too much detail) and were told we would be welcome. They were a bit shocked when we turned up but gave us a good pitch and secure parking for the trailers. Some of the other users were a bit bemused by all the military kit but chatted anyway.

The pub is on the banks of the Severn, and the excellent beer and food are served mostly by student barmaids. We only booked for 2 days but stayed for 4, a pitch was £10 per night and the showers were good.

Cheers

Sean

73 FL 74 1976 101 GS 1984 110 ex LR military demonstrator
Reply to
Sean Ryan

It's your Scottish heritage coming through! ;-)

Reply to
Exit