Leaking lift pump 300tdi

Can anyone in the group tell if the lift pump on a 300tdi engine can be serviced, or is it a throw away item?

Mine appears to be leaking between the top and bottom halves just a few drips a minute whilst idling.

I have checked the feed pipe for tightness and all seems ok .

I assume from looking at it all the fuel lines will have to come off to remove it?

Do you have to bleed each line separately before trying to start the engine?

Reply to
Simon Mills

"Simon Mills" wrote in news:K5V%c.24545$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

Yes, the fuel lift pumps on the 300Tdi are inclined to leak and have to be replaced. They are not outrageously expensive.

I posted a grumble about Paddock's replacement a while back under the heading "I hate Paddocks"(!) because I had to re-bend all the fuel pipes to get their's to fit. You might be better off with the genuine part. Unless, of course, I put the pipes on the wrong connectors -- but I don't think so!

As I recall, the bleeding was not much of a problem as the

300Tdi seems quite easy in that department. Just slack the pipes off at the injectors and work the lever on the pump for a minute or two. Then use the starter to complete the operation.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Simon

Toss it away and get a new one. I think the genuine part is better than the generic type. It cost me around $120.00 Australian including fitting, so it can't be too hard if you want to have a go yourself.

Regards Scott

D110 Brisbane QLD

Reply to
Scott

Probably the best thing to do is chuck the thing in the bin. They're pressed together so can;t be serviced really. Not like the old ones which had a ring of bolts holding it together and you can buy service kits etc.

There should be a little bleed screw (hex head) on the top of the pump. Slacken that and pump the fuel through with your (shiny new) lift pump until air free diesel comes through. Tighten up the screw and away you go. Or you could just wind the damn thing over till it goes........

Bought a TD pump last year and i think it was about 30 quid.

All the best

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

Thanks guys will order new pump today.

Reply to
Simon Mills

In article , Simon Mills writes

The pipe between the filter and the lift pump should have a "pigs tail" in it.

If it is just the straight pipe it will put strain on the pump and cause it to leak again..

So best order the modified pipe if yours is straight.

Regards

Reply to
marc