Looking for reccomendations

Hi,

I've been convinced by a friend that the vehicle I'm after is indeed a landrover for the job I have (rigging & radio tower access - often requiring remote / inhospitable working and some truly nasty terrain). I've no doubt the vehicle is by nature capable of the task at hand, or it wouldn't be used by the likes of BT or several utility companies; However..

I'm more than a bit bewildered by the amount of variety on offer - ideally it needs to be primarily comfortable and warm, while at the same time giving ample room for tools, spares, and whatnot. Winches would be a bonus to say the least, as would a crew cab.

Can anyone reccomend a landy which would be up to the job and not balk at being thrown up a hillside in a snowstorm, or indeed, what options would be open to me if I was to buy an off the shelf discovery or similar?

Cheers,

Allan

Reply to
sith-lord

I was not aware Land Rover had a new Discovery Commercial so thats out and then we come to crewcabs Defender

Santana PS10
and summat else for comparison

(its not a landy)

Derek

Reply to
Derek

If you can justify it, and maybe you can, then a Discovery would be great for what you want to do. However, it depends on the quantity of tools etc that you need to carry. I imagine that a king cab [cab and a half] or a double cab pick-up would be more suitable and cost effective for you especially if you are self employed and VAT registered. Much as I would like to point you in the direction of a 110 crew cab, it is not the most pleasant thing to drive the miles you need to cover. Have a look at the modern crop of pick-ups which are powerfull and refined and pleasant to drive. Examples are the new models of Nissan Navara, MitsubishiL200 and my current favourite, the Ford Ranger. All are available with three cab types and various trim and equipment levels. The Mitsu has a superb four wheel drive system on higher spec models that allows 2wd, full time 4wd or locked 4wd but rather dubious styling and a smaller than average load bed. All have standard abs and airbags, the Ford has standard electric windows and mirrors, all have the usual car options including leather and trick cd autochangers.

Do not dismiss the 110 crew cab, or any other version. The new four cylinder revised version will certainly be worth a look when it is launched.

If you can make-do with a car type vehicle then the Discovery is pretty well unbeatable in its combination of on and offroad dynamics and driving satisfaction.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

It sounds like a 110 Crew Cab, or if you've a few bob extra a 130 Crew Cab. While the Discovery is more car like, you don't have the option of chucking oily/wet/smelly/big/awakward stuff in the back! If you have no requirement to carry more than one passenger then a Hi-Capacity Pickup is worth a look as there is plenty of room in the back for a tool locker.

If you've not driven a Defender (a 200Tdi onwards one that is) recently, see if you can borrow or hire one for a while - the driving position can take a bit of getting used too. A 200Tdi onwards will give the likes of L200's a good run for their money on-road, in terms of speed and economy, but with much better load carrying ability and off-road ability.

I've no figures for maintinance cost to hand, but the MEB has tried both the Ford Explorer based pickup and the L200's, and are now back with Defenders, as are the Peak Park, who cited (amazingly!) low maintaince costs due to off-road use as the reason.

Hope that doesn't get you completely confused!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Thanks for the reccomendations folks - me and my budget are now off to have a gander at what's on offer. Interesting that the Navara was mentioned, some boys at work drive it occaisonally and have it labelled as a death-trap - the arse tends to accelerate faster then the front from what I've seen. Comfy seats though :-)

Cheers,

Allan

Reply to
sith-lord