Looks like a pleasant summer...

Fuel's been creeping up for a while round here (Chelt area). BP seems to be the highest, Shell seem to be cheapest. Not too bothered as i don't pay for fuel in the van (although we have been told this week to buy where is cheapest), don't use Disco that much so will again buy where ever is cheapest.

How do the petrol stations set their prices??. Manager at one garage has admitted to me that he sets his prices against Tesco's. BP range from 96.9p on one side of town to 98.9 over the other side. What will annoy me though is the 'lets blockade fuel depots' types who will undoubtably crawl out of the woodwork again.

Dom Jackson

Reply to
Dom J

While wittering aimlessly and without thinking Dom said:-

I have recently travelled across West Africa and paid from 11 pence (UK) per litre (the cheapest) to 70 pence per litre in Mauritania (the most expensive because of transport and road infrastructure). The average I paid was in West Sahara the grand total of 22 pence per litre for Shell.

Now do tell me if they are charging and average of 22 pence per litre in such places and making a profit then why should we have such high charges here? Now I understand the argument about a percentage being tax in this country but the tax increases the more expensive it is.

Diesel prices are a rip off and I for one feel that people in the country (where there is no or little public transport) and people who need a car are being penalised and taxed. This puts a heavy burden on farmers and increases the cost of food to us all. Speak to any hauliers and they will tell you that fuel is to expensive.

I really think before posting in a public forum, you need to think through your comments or is it you are just a townie.

Yours

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Could reach a £1 a ltr this summer, we should be so lucky, most places in West Norfolk are 99.9 or if you are near Three Holes its been 105 a ltr or so for around 6 months or more now. I bet most places round here are over the £1 by the end of April. GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

|| While wittering aimlessly and without thinking Dom said:- || || ||| How do the petrol stations set their prices??. Manager at one ||| garage has admitted to me that he sets his prices against Tesco's. ||| BP range from 96.9p on one side of town to 98.9 over the other ||| side. What will annoy me though is the 'lets blockade fuel depots' ||| types who will undoubtably crawl out of the woodwork again. ||| ||| Dom Jackson ||| || || I have recently travelled across West Africa and paid from 11 pence || (UK) per litre (the cheapest) to 70 pence per litre in Mauritania || (the most expensive because of transport and road infrastructure). || The average I paid was in West Sahara the grand total of 22 pence || per litre for Shell. || || Now do tell me if they are charging and average of 22 pence per || litre in such places and making a profit then why should we have || such high charges here? Now I understand the argument about a || percentage being tax in this country but the tax increases the more || expensive it is.

In the UK it is not a percentage as such. Added to the retailer's charge for the actual fuel (which isn't far from your 22 pence) is the fuel DUTY which I think is in the order of 47 pence and then VAT (which is a percentage) is added on top of all of the previous. VAT would be peanuts without the duty being added on first. And remember that you are paying VAT on the duty itself - being taxed on the tax you've paid, in effect.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Hmm the problem is thats the way the industry works my prices were set against the competition when you realise that some sites in a conurbation are selling at 91.9 and others at 96.9 somebody is maximising their profit and as I posted about a month ago when Total (my employers of 20 odd years ago) closed our local site leaving only shell based and Tesco the price ramped up. But globally try this piece of logic Who has caused the current round of price increases by threatening Iran with unspecified (maybe nuclear) action?

pays his wages?
profits?
sad that the most powerful man in the world behaves like J R Ewing

Derek ( I did forecast this didn't I?)

Reply to
Derek

Good old Mr Bush!.

Maybe my comments about fuel protesters were a bit harsh.

I appriciate that Haulage contractors, farmers etc need to use fuel to earn a living and that fuel is incredibaly expensive. I have no problem with a peaceful protest outside a refinary, but what i have a problem with is the rent-a-mob element who get involved.

Also what doesn't help is the press hyping the price rise out of all proportion. How long before we see panic buying at the pumps again, probably within a few hours of the first 'Fuel Rationing......' headline on a tabloid.

.....and to answer your question Andrew.........no i'm not a 'townie'. Lived in the sticks where using a car is essential for day to day living all my life.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

Bloody middle east wars again innit.