LPG, Where is the tank gitted on a D90?

|| | Each tank should have an 80% fill restrictor, normally done with a |||| float valve on the inlet and should have a PRV (pressure relief |||| valve) which hopefully in the event of a fire allows the pressure |||| to vent safely rather making your tank into a fair approximation |||| of a bomb. ||| ||| Although, having seen video of LPG tanks venting in a fire, "safely" ||| in this context is a relative term :-) || || aye, well...it's better than an actual explosion, I suppose. I've || not seen one, but I can imagine that it's not exactly the sort of || thing you want to stand beside ||

This has puzzled me, and puts me off the idea of LPG for the RR. If you have a fire, and the tank vents through the PRV, isn't what comes out LPG vapour - exactly what goes bang in the engine under normal circumstances? The PRV will prevent the tank from going off like a bomb, but will let the gas out in a jet, like spraying an aerosol at a flame. Or have I missed something?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Well, er, yes.

Only the scale of the thing.

Video at

(the zipfile seems to bebroken, but the other one is OK). Or there's a Dutch .pdf with stills at
And there's stills from a test of a composite tank (not a steel one) at
(As an aside, there's an interesting technical write-up of these composite tanks at
) A Google for "bonfire test" will give you more details.

But without the PRV, it's a different kettle of fish.

City of Charlottesville SOP for LPG incidents:

"Keep all bystanders a minimum of two thousand (2000) feet away ..." And there's a great write-up on a LPG depot fire in North Yorks:
"Within that first hour it is estimated that some 200 LPG cylinders of28.6 pounds and 103.6 pounds had exploded. A one ton (330 gallon) LPGtank had BLEVE'd (boiling liquid, expanding vapor explosion) ..." "At approximately 1:30 p.m. an engineer for Calor Gas made himself known to the incident commander ... As a point of interest, he was piloting a glider in the area and saw the incident from the air. [He] landed at a local gliding club and came to the site having some knowledge of its location."

"At 2:30 p.m. a decision was made to attempt to valve down the two

10,000 ton LPG tanks ..."
Reply to
QrizB

Unleaded for the time being, then...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Like Austin, I'd be happier with the "controlled" burnoff of the gas, that the explosion you'd get from a petrol tank.

In the case of the Rangie, with a tank full of LPG sitting just on top of a tank of unleaded, I guess it's a bit more of a lottery.

David

Reply to
David French

On or around Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:36:11 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

not really. But you carry lots of flammable liquid on yer petrol car anyway, in a much more feeble tank (plastic, in some cases) and if the tank's only part-full the resulting explosion can be quite impressive.

and most of the time, it don't go on fire, in theory at least.

a mate did have his car spontaneously combust, but then again, he'd noticed a strong smell of petrol beforehand, so 'twas probably a pipe failure of some kind putting petrol somewhere hot or sparky. I've had things with rather impressive petrol leaks before which *haven't* gone on fire.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

AIUI brake fluid is the commonest source of vehicle fires.

Reply to
hugh

"Mark Hale" wrote

altered so

Thanks for your comments Mark. It's late and dark outside, so I'll look later; but did not think there was that much space in the engine bay of a Td5.

Reg.

Reply to
Reg

"QrizB" wrote

Having seen a similar clip when taking the hazmat course, so that I could extend my licence for ADR, I would agree. Got your PPE?

Reg.

Reply to
Reg

On or around Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:37:42 -0000, "Reg" enlightened us thusly:

have a word with the various suppliers/importers - tanks come all shapes and sizes...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Reg writes

Isn't your fuel tank behind the rear x member?

Reply to
hugh