Mind if I join?

Evening all, Been reading this for a while; mind if I join in? Have a 110 HC pick-up, last year's model...so far so good; basically use it on the farm for whatever. My problem: driving over rough terrain I find it difficult to keep foot on the accelerator very steady which makes for a jerky ride and is probably not good for engine & transmission. Does anyone know if a hand throttle can be fitted? The local agents reckons it cannot since there is no physical linkage from the pedal. (the fuel injection is electronically controlled). Anybody else has this problem? (I had an Isuzu before which had a hand-throttle and that worked wonderfully)

Izak Marais

Reply to
Izak_M

Some hand throttles on Jap diesels are fitted working on the pedal itself, so I don't see why it could not be done with a 110, although it may take a bit of ingenuity and fabrication. JD

Reply to
JD

I assume it is a TD5? If my memory serves me right it is an electronic throttle. I think it is the case that in low ratio it automatically make the throttle travel longer for offroad work. IF that is the case you may be better off using say 5th low range instead of 2nd high range.

Also the HC pickup has very stiff rear springs - either carry a heavy load or else lower the tyre pressures - will make a big difference.

Do NOT use a hand throttle for driving unless you want to kill yourself!!!

Reply to
Vince

Wotcher! What's the password.

Sure it's not just you not having been used to it yet? I've been driving off-road on lanes and off-road sites for many years and not had this problem at all. Might be worth getting the truck checked out to make sure it's OK, e.g. throttle potentiometer dirty etc.

As for hand throttles, I'd be inclined to avoid using it while moving as it tends to make you take everything at a set speed, which isn't a good idea if the terrain is really rough. I've got a non-LR vehicle now that has a hand throttle but the only time I've ever used it was when sitting on a very steep incline, nose up, holding it on brakes then using the hand throttle to pull away.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I remember reading somewhere there was a prob with TD5 throttles so maybe it's not just him.

Reply to
Vince

Hand throttles Off-road are not a very good idea, as the time taken to release the throttle is far longer than if you simply lift your foot off, you can get into trouble with a hand throttle.

However, a simple trick i was taught with a LR is simply to put your foor on the accellerator, but to press your foot sideways at the same time against the door pillar. Then your foot doesn't bounce up and down as you go over bumps.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

or you can do what my father swore by when he had his first series 2 in the 60's, he found the power of the 2litre too much after his ol' 1600 series one and apparently fitted a masively strong spring to the throttle to kerb his right foot........................Bizarre

Reply to
Dave R

There's no reason why a second pair of throttle pots couldn't be mounted on the dash. It would probably be necessary to have a mutli-pole switch, or some resitors to match the impedance though. Such an arrangement would be of use to those who go wading as well as a back-up system.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Fitted two extra springs on Percy when the 4.2 lump was in after launching myself at a junction one day. :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I thought the TD5 remapped when in low box? To avoid just the situation you are talking about. I know my L322 does.....

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

That's what I said but nobody listened!!!

Reply to
Vince

Before i got the diesel engine in my 2A, my mate had it in his.

You get a lot of throttle movement on my diesel and it can be delicate at points - the petrol is like on/off but mine uses the full pedal travel to do its stuff.

My mate always had a bit of kitchen worktop on the floor under the heel of his foot to change the angle you foot was at on the pedal. Making it more towards the horizontal makes it easier to control in some ways.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Pardon? Did somebody say something?

Reply to
Alex

This sounds possible; any idea what the value of those pots (you mention a pair?)are? I suppose they could be bought as spares over the counter?

Reply to
Izak_M

This I will try, thanks; funny the users manual doesn't mention it..........I'll read it again!

Reply to
Izak_M