more heat!!

I have heard about "artic" heaters on military defenders - can these be sourced for civilian TD! 300's and from where - the wife is getting cold

Reply to
rrrrrrrrrrrrrr

In news:3f6ef677$0$15784$ snipped-for-privacy@reading.news.pipex.net, rrrrrrrrrrrrrr wrote: | I have heard about "artic" heaters on military defenders - can these | be sourced for civilian TD! 300's and from where - the wife is | getting cold

I've fitted one to my TD5 Defender - take a look at webasto.co.uk. You used to be able to buy them direct from Webasto Uk in Doncaster, but now you have to go through a reseller.

Not cheap, but worth it on those cold mornings. Guess it's like air-con - if you've not had it you don't see the point, but once tried - well, I won't have a car without either now!

Eberspacher do them too, but don't have any experience of those.

I've got the Thermo Top C - runs for an hour at a time, has it's own pump to draw fuel up from the tank as required. When it cuts out, just hit the button to run it again.

The more basic Thermo Top I had in my Discovery 200TDi only ran for 30 minutes, and picked up fuel from the injector return pipe - need to run the engine to fill up it's on-board tank before you can run it again.

Both are controlled from a timer module, or you can add on remote controls and other gadgets, including it's own pager! The Thermo Top C can also be run without actually heating the water - great to run the fans in summer time to cool the car down a bit before getting in.

Military spec ones will run for as long as required (and the vehicle battery lasts!). They also have extra ducting to send warm air over the windows and around the cab - civvy ones simply make use of existing heater systems, such as they are.

Kenlowe do a much cheaper version - but that runs off the mains so not as convenient.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Pewsey