Hardboard in discovery grill

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can advise me on this one. I have just bought myself a second hand '98 Discovery 300TDi. I am really happy with the vehicle, and all seems to be fine with it, except for one strange thing. While washing it, I noticed that there is a large piece of hardboard that has been fitted behind the front grill, in front of the radiator. I can guess that it has been put there to reduce airflow through the radiator, but why? The vehicle runs at normal temp (just below half on the gauge), and does not seem to have any other problems. Do these vehicles have a problem with overcooling....should I just remove the hardboard, or is this a common fix for some problem or other?

Thanks Robert

Reply to
Robert

Hi Robert,

As far as I know, that kind of thing is not to compensate for overcooling, but is used in winter to help the engine come up to temperature more quickly.

Seeing as how it's starting to get a bit colder, you might want to leave it in until next spring, and then take it out.

regards, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Harton

i have some in my RR to stop as much mud / clay blocking the rad.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

On or around Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:43:49 +0100, "Mark Solesbury" enlightened us thusly:

both valid points. Especially the one about temperature, on TDis, although if the thermostat is working right, it'll not make all that much difference.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I used to do this with my Tdi's to get them to warm up quicker in the winter ... didn't make any noticable difference though, except making me feel like I was doing something about it. Also leaving it there during the summer didn't make it run hotter either ... nor did removing the viscous fan.

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG