more series brakes (rear adjusters..)

I think ive got some gas pipe that might do the job.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Fri, 22 Sep 2006 00:08:40 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

Actually, the best method is to replace the drums. once worn to the point where you can't get half-worn shoes to work properly, they're probably getting weaker as well.

the sleeve on the pin is only a temporary bodge, which allows you to carry on using worn drums.

Having said that, I could do with adjusting mine on the SIII again, and that might benefit from a set of drums too.

probably advisable to replace them as an axle set - the shoes will have to bed into the new drum and so the brakes might be uneven if you don't.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

591039 Brake Drum - 10in - Series 88in to 1980/All 90 Rear £14.09 inc VAT - in stock. Richard
Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Fri, 22 Sep 2006 08:32:52 +0100, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

I'll have to have a look at one of mine - the adjuster gets tight enough to just start binding and then goes "Boingggg"...

might just be worn shoes, of course. I'll have a looksee. wear everywhere, I should think.

one of the front adjusters has a 9/16" head, instead of 11/16", and the back ones are 1/2", which means that since my 9/16"x1/2" is broken I need 3 spanners...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The adjuster kit i just got has 2 sets of snails. the big ones are spare. any reason why i cant fit em to the adjusters on the back axle to take up the worn drum?

Also - Richard - that adjuster set is pretty crappy! (im not blaming you for this) I've got more bits left over than i used, the washers didnt appear to fit anywhere (too small) and they would benefit from instructions. its a good job im changing the shoes too since i couldnt work out a way to make those adjusters work with my old shoes since the pin they push on is shorter on the old shoes than the new ones and the adjuster needs to be taller like the old one that came off.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Note my earlier comment about incorrect adjusters - did someone fit unsuitable ones earlier? If the larger ones will fit(and still leave room for new linings in an unworn drum when fully retracted) why not use them.

Reply to
Dougal

||| Pads? you mean shoes? ||| ||| ||| || Do you mean "pedant" - while we are being pedantic? || JD

Nah, it'll be some sheddish humour, like the pedant brake pedal on Edward.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I've had excessive slack in the adjusters on vehicles to which i have fitted new drums and shoes. Within 1000 miles it was impossible to adjust the brakes as the cam would pass the highest point without too much effort.

I suspect the problem lies in pattern/replacement shoes where the pin is not accuratly located. I suspect there are variances which the original shoes did not have. Or possibly they are shoes which were orioginally made for a different vehicle, which somebody in landrover parts department decided were equivalent without actually bothering to check carefully.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

er, well, yes - it's not the worlds best kit. The Bearmach ones are much better, but we can't get them due to Terry at LandRanger in Northwich getting our account blocked with Bearmach - he decided to invoke the "15 mile" rule after we had had an account with Bearmach for 4 years........ It's a bummer, but the best possible indicator of our market position!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

update to say that I replaced the drum and it means that instead of the adjuster doing absolutely nothing it instead does nothing through nearly all of its travel and then almost binds on the last 2 clicks. I still dont have enough adjustment to lock the hub up. The hub already has the bigger of the 2 adjuster snail cams on it.

I am therefore assuming that it is the pin on the shoes that is in slightly the wrong place. Perhaps it is a conspiracy to make you buy more brake shoes!

The shoes i have on appear to be identical to the new ones i just bought from Richard - I think both are the britpart ones? (old ones came from paddocks years ago i think)

For now i am going to put the new shoes on, but am going to find some tube to put over the adjuster so that i can use half worn ones.

It would be interesting to compare them to some genuine/orignal ones.

Also found that the new drum only has one fixing screw hole rather than

  1. Any reason for this or are they just trying to save a few pence by drilling 2 less holes?
Reply to
Tom Woods

Think about it - whatis the screw doing when the road wheel is attached? You only need the screw to retain the drum when the wheel is off and one is more than enough. And it does save money.

Also if not already done check the fixed pivot pin for the shoes. Loose? Welded up and possibly out of position?

Reply to
Dougal

you dont really need any screws since the wheel and wheel nuts hold it on. There must be a good reason why landrover chose to fit 3 of them though? (unless they were just trying to make it fun for people buying 'projects' that have sat for years and rusted up.. ;) )

looks tight and original. not looked closely for wear though. Will do.

Reply to
Tom Woods

If you try to lock the hub up you will bend the pin on the shoe, they are only supposed to hold the shoe to the drum for adjustment purposes. As I said before jack up and turn each wheel until you can just feel it start to bind , then back off a click or two, *don't* force it.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

i didnt mean lock it up solid. for the last 2 clicks i can just about feel it touching the pad a little bit. it wasnt really binding just touching slightly.

Reply to
Tom Woods