OT: computer problem & HP device

I'm trying to sort out a computer for a friend. it's an old machine with an AMD K6-2 processor and has a HP multifunction device things on a USB expansion card.

The problem is the modem, she has a USB modem that only works when the HP things is unplugged and all it's background software is off. then it dials the isp. however when it dials the isp (I've tried 2 isp's) it won't connect, password and all are ok. I've tried it with all other phone-line devices disconnected but it just keeps failing to connect.

when the HP stuff is on and running it'll crash either when if first tries to talk to the modem.

no sign of line noise on the telephone.

Any suggestions folks?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Mr.Nice. posted ...

Two things ..

USB support depends a lot on the Windows version (I'm assuming Windows). Mostly Windows 98 SE has full USB support, any earlier versions, such as W98, and USB support is flaky at best ...

A friend of mine had identical symptoms, it turned out to be a message on BT (1571 ?) that stops the dial tone every few seconds to alert users that there is a message to be collected. The modem just assumes the dial tone isn't there ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Twas Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:00:49 +0100 when "Paul - xxx" put finger to keyboard producing:

98SE

the modem is detecting a dial tone and dialling as I'd expect but failing to connect. I will check the BT message thing though.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Try a different modem. I take it its a 56k one?. If so then go and get a proper external serial modem. You can't go wrong with one of them. shouldnt cost you much.

I had loads of trouble with my mates computer which had been used with loads of wierd USB ISDN devices. That was using an internal PCI modem. It would do the same thing as yours - It could dial, and chat a bit, but it would never authenticate. I replaced it with a proper external one i had lying about and it works perfectly.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Twas Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:48:31 +0100 when Tom Woods put finger to keyboard producing:

we started with an internal PCI that would only work without the USB card (and so without the printer). so I bought a USB modem on the logic that usb is known to work on this machine.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Mr.Nice. posted ...

Yup, it detects a dial tone and dials, but the dial tone drops after a couple of seconds, thus the modem decides to stop ...

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, try an external serial modem .. far, far more reliable. ;) I always have a USR spare that has never failed to work on any compatible computer, even when other internal / USB modems have failed dismally.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Ive found USB to be a pain in the arse on older machines (and some newer ones..).

A serial modem is about as simple and basic as you can get, and they always work perfectly, you dont even need to put any drivers on.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:04:11 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

nothing before W98 will do USB at all.

mind, I stick with old-fahioned parallel for the printer. do have a USB mouse mind. Logitech optical wheelie one, bloody brilliant.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Exept this version of Win 95 I have here that says on it "With USB support" :O)

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn.....

Doesn't mean it actually does it anything approaching properly :-)

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Bell

Can't remember It's a long time ago probly early usb days

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn.....

On or around Fri, 16 Apr 2004 19:00:52 +0100, "jOn....." enlightened us thusly:

have you got it to work?

I have one of them, 95b. didn't work though. I have to admit, I never tried a USB rodent on it, but it sure as hell wouldn't talk to the fingery camera, despite *apparently* installing it OK.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Probly flakey twas a long time ago, been through 98se and xp since then. It just sez it on it, cant remember if I had any usb stuff way back then.

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn.....