MPG?

What kind of mpg should I get from a basic Defender 90 with a 4cyl petrol engine?

Reply to
Molesworth

Was the Defender ever made with the 4 cylinder 2.25 petrol engine?

Reply to
William Black

Yes, I had one, but it wasn't designated a Defender, just a 90 or 110. Mine was a late 1984, 90 hardtop with 2.25L, 5 bearing engine. I kept a record of fuel usage while I owned it and from my records it gave at worst 16mpg and at best 22mpg. The engine ran sweet as a nut but awfully underpowered for permanent 4 wheel drive!

It was also upgraded to 2.5L 4 cylinder soon after. Can't comment on that one though.

Neil

Neil

That's what I meant.

The Defender is from about 1990

Reply to
William Black

I do the opposite - they're all 90/110 etc. to me! The Defender in my eyes is nothing other than badge engineering: a marketing gimmick.

Reply to
Dougal

Ah! my apologies for misunderstanding. It's just that most people refer to any 90 or 110 as a "Defender" whether it is or not!

Neil

Neil

I must admit to calling my 90 a Defender to basically anyone outside this Ng. To call it a 90 just brings forth blank stares but everyone knows what a Defender is. The only real difference is the 90/110s had the option of different engines, petrol or diesel.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

On or around Fri, 27 May 2011 16:28:34 -0500, Molesworth enlightened us thusly:

not much. 20 mpg or so I would expect.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

My V8 auto did about 11 around town and as much as 16 on a good run

Reply to
hugh