Insurance for discovery?

Hi all, After a 70% rise from NFU for my 1996 300tdi disco insurance I did a search on go-compare :-(( which came up with quotes less than half of NFU. Cheapest first:-

Swinton Motor Insurance warehouse Motorquote direct Chaucer direct direct choice M & S Bullseye budget

Now I realise that most of these will be using some other actual insurance company / underwriter, but anyone had any direct experiance (good or bad) of these? NFU service and reputation are brilliant, but I won't pay 70% more for it....

Thanks alot!! Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Swinton took over the brokers I had been dealing with for years. There followed a stream of e-mails and phone calls.......

Then the premium went up by about 80%. So I moved to Lancaster.

I still use them for buildings insurance, but only because ICBA moving the account yet. When I move home.....

Reply to
John Williamson

thanks for the note about Swinton John, just the kind of info I like. Just finished putting in all my details at Lancaster and 2s later the phone rang and it was them, so I'm afraid they are out of the picture (also quite a bit more expensive than others).

Reply to
Andrew T.

I found that when I phoned Lancaster, the quote suited me, and I've had no calls since. They weren't the cheapest, but the policy explicitly included off-road use, which the others didn't.

Reply to
John Williamson

In message , Andrew T. writes

Interesting that the one I moved to, Liverpool Victoria or LVstupidsquiggle, are not on the list. They were the cheapest when I did a search, the person I spoke to seemed English, and confirmed that towing and my rather limited off-road use were covered. Of course, I haven't had my accident yet, so I don't know how good they are. Shame about NFU. They were ever so nice when I rang them to say goodbye and want me to check their price next year.

Daughter learnt the hard way not to let a mat get under the brake pedal but got really annoyed with SwiftCover when they wouldn't argue with the person whose car scraped along the front of hers. She and her witnesses said he couldn't possibly have had whiplash and he was seen in his football kit picking up his mates for a game on several days after the accident. Someone needs to take a stand.

Reply to
Bill

Swinton are the the biggest bunch of shitkickers ever.

AVOID.

Reply to
Nige

I agree avoid Swinton at all costs. If you are insured with them just make sure that you are really with them. By some means they passed my details on to another company without telling me. When the paperwork failed to turn up I contacted Swintons and they denied all knowledge of me and the name of the company on my bank statement. With the help of the Financial Services Authority I traced the firm listed on my bank statement who assured me I was with them and that Swintons often passed on details to them. When I told Swintons they suddenly knew the company which they had denied before. NEED I SAY MORE?

Alan R

Reply to
Roberts

Have you tried aviva? Theyre not on the comparisons site and if theyre still doing their 12 weeks free (or whatever it was)worked out very good premium, as to their service......

They were brilliant (for me at least...other results may vary), had an accident last year(well my car did while it was parked on the street and i was tucked up in bed), some drunken yoot reversing off the street hit the front wing and bumper, even though i rang them at 2.30 in the morning the phone was answered by a nice english lady, who after hearing my description immediated waived my excess and gave me the number of a place to get a hire car while mine was in the body shop, they've been great.

Stuck with them this year, but, thats because the whole thing is still ongoing (was august last year it happened), but, thats not avivas fault, the little scrote seems to think he wasnt driving(despite almost the entire street watched him do it).

I would have changed insurers this year and tried going with them again next time(to see if i could get the 12 weeks free again)

Reply to
johnty

That is who we are with. Competent service when we've required it. Though I don't think they cover my Disco for "off road" use but as the only "off road" I do is the drive... I'm putting "off road" in quotes as in my book that would include all public rights of way, so BOATs etc...

Stuck with them as the premiums are reasonable after checking around what others offer.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Andrew T. writes

Just insured Nissan Navarna for our business and NFU gave by far the biggest NCD for my son who has driven company cars for the last 13 years without accident. Consequently they were the cheapest by far. Defender and motor home come up in August so we'll see what they come up with.

Reply to
hugh

Thanks to all for the comments, it's really good to hear real life experiance, it gives me a few more to try. NFU have come back with 10% off, but still not really happy about it. Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Thanks for the pointer to Aviva, just got a quote from them, very reasonable, and 12wks free, but still reasonable even without the free time. Also one of the few to give a straight answer about imports, mines from Japan, but Aviva say if it's on their list of vehicles (found with Reg number) then it's OK with them. Cheers! Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Go-compare and similar are Brokers and take a cut themselves so it's usually cheaper to go direct to the Ins Co yourself. My wife's car ins went up 40% this year despite being with the same Co for many years, so she phoned around and went with the AA which was actually cheaper than her insurance had been the year before. £467.05 fully comp on a BMW 330i.

Reply to
Bob Hobden