Muppet BMW driver

All vehicles that travel faster than 50kph on the road have to have a mechanical link to the steering system in case of assistance failure such as a hydraulic failure. Slower and off-road vehicles can have fully hydrostatic steering systems. The faster range of JCB Fastrac's have power assisted steering [as have all cars trucks and buses] while the smaller 50kph range has hydrostatic full power steering in common with other tractors.

They should throw the key away to protect the rest of us.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

You have to remember that he claims it was stuck in gear. In which case it would be stuck in top gear and would be easy to stop but not actually to stall as you say.

Also, if it was going fast to start with, bringing it

Braking hard and fast, it would not fade. Brake steadily for a long time and they certainly would fade. It's all bollocks anyway.

And possibly [probably] just a publicity seeking liar from the off.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

"PDannyD" wrote in message news:duvk1j$vqg$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...

Far too many nutters and losers loose for the good and safety of society. They are also an increasing proportion of the total number of people as they breed faster and have more similar dysfunctional children than average and they may eventually take over the asylum.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Reply to
hammy1967

On or around Sun, 12 Mar 2006 00:45:48 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

Normally, you should be able to select N. however, on modern fly-by-wire things I suppose it's possible that a systems failure gets it stuck in D and full-throttle.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:29:53 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

The AA et al couldn't convince the moron to switch off. I bet had the AA bloke or dibble been driving, they'd have switched off and come to a stop same as the rest of us.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Plod seem to do OK on the televised car chases with the stinger wheel puncture things, don't see why it wouldn't work on King of the Muppets. It's possible I suppose that the stinger isn't as effective as the patronising telly presenters make it out to be on the box.

Sounds like someone's license needs to be revoked at the very least..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Problem with a stinger is that it relies on making the car undrivable by giving you 4 flats - if this guy genuinely was out of control then he'd have ended up running at speed on the rims which would have made it as close to uncontrollable as you'll get.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

My Volvo will select N at any speed. I did once select N at a rather high speed after overshooting the lever back into D.

I've also accidentally switched the bugger off on the motorway due the stupid oversize keys on cars these days. No drama, swich it back on and it starts back up from the torque convertor. No loss of brakes or steering.

I can't see any reason why both the gearbox and accelerator would magically jam at the same time. One or the other possibly, but a fly-by-wire would surely fail safe in any case.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

...and Austin Shackles spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Just a thort - perhaps the AA didn't advise him to switch off (or whatever) for liability reasons. If they had told him to do X (where X is anything sensible) and he crashed it anyway, might they be liable in law for the resultant damage? Same for the dibbles. Safer (from a liability point of view) to say nothing, let him crash, and pick up the pieces afterwards. Allow Darwinism to work unimpeded, as it were.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

In message , Huw writes

[snip]

So bring it to a reduced speed and drive it head-on into a concrete bridge pillar. The crumple zone and air bags would do their bit, and he'd have stopped the car safely.

Of course. Turning the ignition key to the off position, but not withdrawing it, would have left him with steering intact, it wouldn't have locked the steering wheel.

That's my reading.

Reply to
Jonathan Spencer

That's one hard way of stopping it I suppose and with a bit of luck humanity would be just a bit stronger for it. Natural selection and all that.

A surprising number of people seem to take the story at face value. Not a good sign that natural selection and evolution has worked adequately well thus far in strengthening the breed type.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Stopping with an auto? - just put it into Park mate. One way or another

- you'll stop!!

Reply to
hugh

It'll be just as effective to pull it back to neutral. The park lock device will not engage at high speed but will rattle noisily and may get broken off at lower speed, say below 10mph.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:15:16 -0000, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

I gather from an ex-Borg Warner employee that someone once came up with the brilliant idea of testing the strength of the "Park" mechanism by dropping it into P at 30 mph. The 'box was supposed to be able to survive this, but apparently the engine mountings didn't...

'course, could be a UL.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's probably UL as they won't lock the parking pawl at 30 mph (been there tried that). However hooking up reverse at speed (and revs) rips engines off their mounts and drops bits of driveline on the road. :-)

Reply to
EMB

On or around Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:26:35 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

we won't ask how you know that...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thank goodness for electronics.... My very very pissed BOL passenger slipped my P38 into reverse when I was doing about 75ish on the M4 late at night just after Christmas. First I knew was a sudden loss of drive. Took a few seconds for me to realise what he had done. After the initial panic and swearing at him I carried on as if nothing had happened. Imagine the fun we could have had if it was a mechanical set-up instead of an ECU controlled box.

Gazza

Reply to
Gazza

I tried it with a rotten old SD1 - it was good for nowt but scrap - so I decided to see what actually would happen, and the results were much what I expected.

Reply to
EMB

EMB uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Reply to