My Disco smells...

....when I clean the screen with the washers.

Took out the Washer Bootle and it stank to high heaven. Cleaned up most of the black slime that was in there but it still smells.

Does anyone have any ideas or the best was to clean it out completely?

Thanks.

Reply to
Datch

Datch> Does anyone have any ideas or the best was to clean it out Datch> completely?

I'd be tempted to take it out, put in some sand (or gravel) and water, and give it a dammned good shake. Make sure you wash ALL the sand out before replacing....

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB

Or stick a jet wash in it?

David

Reply to
rads

In message , rads writes

With a Fiesta with a terrible smell, I washed, rinsed several times and then added a good dose of Dettol to the detergent mix. This seemed to do the trick, including attacking the little beasties in the pipes and nozzles.

Reply to
Bill Holt

Sounds like an algae..... so... the _best_ solution is chlorine. It's growing in your washer system. Kill it all off! !!!

Lots of sources for chlorine. ( if you use the granulated pool stuff, it'll generate _heat_..so mix it up with water well before, then fill your screen washer tank.... and just a little bit!!... say 1 teaspoonful in a litre of water if you're using the 66% calcium hypochlorate granules ( pool chlorine!).. the calcium powder residue will fall to the bottom before you pour the liquid into your washer res.!!!) Otherwise, easier, just get some liquid chlorine bleach from the supermarket. Just make up a mix and leave it soak for a while ( say an hour!). Couple of squirts through the washer, too. Then..**Rinse out all** with fresh water. Done. Super cleaned washer system. No algae, no smell !!

... frodo.

Reply to
frodo

Take the bottle out, stick it in the dishwasher on low heat. Either that or immerse it in a bucket of water with light mix of bleach - do the cap too.

When you're happy the bottle it totally clean, go get some Milton baby bottle cleaner tablets, use twice the ration they suggest, fill the bottle with this, then spray the screen to fill the pipework with the stuff. Leave for 20 minutes, give another 30 second wash, leave for

20 minutes. After a couple of hours it'll all be clean. Milton won't damage the paintwork but obviously, wash it all off with clean water as you go, just in case :-)
Reply to
Mother

is it dishwasher safe?? :)

Reply to
Bigstoo

In news: snipped-for-privacy@raggamuffinlandyzone.co.uk, Bigstoo blithered:

Industrial strength dishwasher?

Reply to
GbH

Did mine with loads of bleach. Probably used far too much but no harm done except it smelt like a clean bog for a fortnight every time I used the washers.

With hindsight I'd put the bleach in, drive round a bit then flush the tank out thoroughly with a garden hose - really thoroughly - mine produced some white bits that occasionally blocked the washers until I flushed the whole tank out. By then of course I'd got some bits into the piping and had regular blockages for a few months. It has finally all cleared now though.

Sometimes I put some pine or orange flavour household cleaner in which really impresses the passengers when you operate the washers. Smells a bit girly though. Need a beer flavour one. Now there's an idea.... nah, waste of good beer.....

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

You could try my thermos flask washing formula, if you're feeling brave:

Empty the container to be cleaned. Add a couple of large spoonfuls of Oxy-clean powder cleaner. Add half a spoonful of sodium hypochlorite brewing equipment cleaner. Add some washing-up liquid.

Then add a kettle of boiling water as quick as you can. Watch out, since this will make the two solid cleaning agents turn into chlorine and oxygen gasses very, VERY quickly. The detergent will help this along, and will make lots of foam.

What you end up with is masses of white smelly foam which completely annihilates muck and mould in the container, inside and out as it overflows.

This'll make a hell of a lot of mess since it will overflow the container, but it will get it clean and it works very, very fast.

Reply to
Dan Holdsworth

Bleach worked fine for me as well, and a small quantity in with each re-fill has kept it free of black gunge.

The only problem was the muck in the pipes that took a while to clear.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'll keep that one in mind for the really tough cleaning/disinfecting jobs. Probably easier to acquire the chemicals than 30% hydrogen peroxide .

Reply to
Gordon Wedman

hypochlorite

chlorine

completely

Thanks to all who responded - I now have a clean and non smelling washer bottle.

In the end I removed it from the Disco and flushed it out with a hose for a few minutes. I then filled it with a few handfulls of Sharp Sand. After shaking the thing for about 10 minutes the sand was emptied and the bottle flushed out untill all the sand had gone. All the black grud had gone from inside.

Refitted and now working a treat without the sewage smell :-))))

Cheers Gavin

Reply to
datchworthdisco

Good one Gav......

I forget what the multiplication rate of algae is , but it's a geom. progression that boggles the mind. It's why a 20K gals pool ( bit more than your bottle) can be clear one day and next day is green if you miss a chlorination or more in ( Oz) summer. Then again, not much sun would get to your bottle, eh !! :))

Ya gotta kill _all_ the spores from any alagae attack if you're really keen!!. Pretty hard to do. So, if you get some 'colour' back into your bottle corners, then try a bit of chlorine, bleach, nappy wash etc. before the stink comes back !! :)))

best wishes,

.... frodo.

Reply to
frodo

I love these Heath Robinson mixes...

Used to do Brobat and Harpic for such ammusement.

Also, Iodine and Ammonia crystals - let them dry...

Reply to
Mother

Ah, would that be the exploding crytals type thing!

Nitrogen tri-something or other.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Time for the 'Domestos' I think.... just to kill all the little buggers....

Reply to
datchworthdisco

The chemist that discovered nitrogen tri-iodide also discovered nitrogen tri-chloride. As I recall the nitrogen tri-chloride discovery cost him 3 fingers.

Reply to
Gordon Wedman