N reg Defender 90 with ECU?

Hi, I've just bought a N reg Defender 90 (not sure if its 95/96 or 200/300tdi) and it has under the middle seat a Diesel EGR, ECU with the following # ERR

6233 Type 4115. It has a landrover logo on it.

What does this unit do?

Was it from another vehicle? or after market add on?

Any help would be great,

Mark...... P.S Any one know of any good web sites to look up engine Numbers?

Reply to
Mr E

It'll be a 300Tdi unless its been messed with.

It is indeed the EGR unit, of the type fitted from MA790541 on - basicaly it monitors exhaust gas and alters engine parameters to get "better" emissions.

No - standard fit

Defender 300Tdi's are in the form 16L0001A (mechanical EGR) and 23L00001 (electronic EGR), if you think it's been messed with a 200Tdi is 11L00001, but then your EGR unit would be redundant.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In article , Mr E writes

Hi

Your engine is a 300Tdi

The ECU does exactly what it says on the tin. ie: EGR Exhaust Gas Recirculation

It is standard on that age of vehicle.

It is an attempt at reducing emissions but does reduce performance. Many people choose to blank off the EGR pipe work at the turbo to get their performance back.

Hope this helps

Reply to
marc

I have been meaning to remove the EGR from my 300Tdi but haven't got round to it yet. In the mean time I've just disconnected the vacuum feed to the valve in the manifold thinking that this will stop it from working.

Do you need to physically blank the hole off or is what I've done sufficient.

Someone (Austin?) in the past has mentioned a 2p coin for the job. Can this just be clamped over the hole left in the manifold by the valve?

Reply to
Simon Barr