NAS LIGHTS

hiya.

can anyone give me the landrover part number for the small NAS lights as fitted to early defenders, pre 96(ish) i think,

its the small ones not the big one.

and whats the difference between the NAS small ones and UK small ones.

cheers

andy.

ps....

oh , and by the way, were doing a play day this sunday and monday.

check my web site for info

Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 -
The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

Andy

As far as I know the small round orange NAS lights (fitted as side lights on the front) are the same as the standard UK spec Defender indicators.

The part numbers are then RTC5013 (for the early removable lens type) and AMR6513 (for the later type one-piece unit).

Martin

--

1988 90 Td5 NAS Replica
Martin Lewis

speaking of NAS lights... are the new-style round fog and reversing lights the same as the larger round NAS lights? Paddock are selling the larger NAS lights and they look the same at a quick glance.

now to the tricky question... will they take these:

'cos AFAICS they won't fit in the normal UK-style light units.

I've got the 19-led "bulbs" in normal UK units, and they're OK but nothing special, in particular, the indicators aren't as bright as I'd hoped they would be. front side lights are 12-led white and are excellent, the 19-led red rear/brake ones are pretty good too.

could always go the whole hog and fit some of the ST-type ones, like these:

but they're 25 bucks apiece. tempting, mind, what with the current exchange rates... lessee, you'd want 3 red ones, 4 amber and ideally one of the cute white reversing lights... hmmm. that's 7 at 25 bucks and one at 30 bucks... $205 altogether. p'raps not, exchange rate ain't *that* good.

However, the 30-led "bulbs" are only 9 bucks apiece for amber ones, if I can find a fitting that'll take 'em.

I see they have a new cute 24-led thing with 18 pointing out the end and 6 arranged radially around the top edge of the base, which looks cute. only red and white, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes - they are exactly the same :o)

I don't know, I know they'll take the large 21W bulbs, but as I haven't got either my LR or a unit to hand I can't measure the apeture.

If you can wait until Saturday, and someone else doesn't come up with the info, I'll be at home..

I'd like to fit some LED units to mine, although I'm concerned about the brightness of them, as the NAS lights with normal filament bulbs are really good. Only the 5W front sidelights let it down and look too yellowy.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

Stick a 20W bulb in. I was supplied with what were supposed to be a pair of front s/lights and a reversing light - all had 20W's in. Left them - nice and bright.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

On or around Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:33:09 +0100, "Martin Lewis" enlightened us thusly:

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Do I take that as "Martin don't be so dim"? :o)

'scuse the pun..

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

On or around Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:20:31 +0100, "Martin Lewis" enlightened us thusly:

nah, that one escaped...

was gonna make some sort of comment about the lights and the big LED arrays, but didn't.

spose I might as well:

the main reason why they won't fit the normal lamps is that the bulbholder is recessed too far - if you look at the web pictures of the 19-LED "bulbs", you'll see that they're (obviously) smaller diameter, they *just* fit the normal fittings. If the bulb holder had the bulb further out, the big ones would probably fit under the cover.

For the large arrays to fit, the original bulb has to sit so that pretty much all the glass envelope is "above"(imagine the light pointing upwards) a flat plane about 1.5/8" diameter. In the normal lights, the bulb is partly-recessed into a hole.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hello Austin

Right, I have pinched an old bulb holder from my NAS lights, which is the same as the 1995-on Defender spec bulb holder for the one-piece lamp units.

I've also got a bulb, and measured the length of the metal cap as 20mm, including the terminal on the bottom. With the bulb in the holder, there is

4mm of cap still showing before the glass starts, so there's a recess of 16mm.

The envelope then sticks out a further 27mm from the top of the cap. I'm sure bulbs vary, but I'd expect them to be within a few mm or so.

I would take some digi photos, but I left my camera at home this term :o(

The main issue with fitting LED bulbs to the NAS light and the later one-piece standard units is the maximum diameter of the bulb, as the bulb holder fits in a hole in the back of the lamp unit. I'm not 100% sure of the diameter of that hole, but I don't think it's much more than the 24mm of the glass bulb. As long as the LED bulbs are smaller than ~25-26mm and the metal cap is longer than ~16mm I don't see why they wouldn't fit.

Would you recommend the American site over the UK sites (specifically

The UltraLeds site has the 24-LED bulbs in all the colours/pinouts I want, whereas the US site doesn't, it's only got the 12's,

19's and 30mm in single pole white and amber.

Anyway, time to stop waffling

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

On or around Fri, 7 May 2004 19:32:28 +0100, "Martin Lewis" enlightened us thusly:

in that case, the 30-LED ones won't fit. They're about 1.5/8" diameter, I believe. I wasn't sure of the construction of the front part of the lamp unit.

not really, I had good results from superbrightleds, but there's no reason to suppose the other lot to be any worse.

The 24-led ones they now list (with the 6 raidal ones) might work better in the normal lamps, in terms of visibility from the side, but they're gogin to be about the same from in-line with the lamp as the 19-led ones, I reckon.

I was slightly disappointed with the intensity of the amber ones, meself. red ones are good, as are the 12-led white ones I got for the front sidelamps.

saw some dead-nice combination light units on the back of an artic which were led arrays the other day. not worked out who makes 'em yet - they appeared to be approx 4"x2" light units vertically in a row, in a single housing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 7 May 2004 19:32:28 +0100, "Martin Lewis" enlightened us thusly:

the UK site looks as if it might be pricier. check the prices and the exchange rate...

can't locate the ones I saw the other day online yet. They were led arrays, not units with bulbs in.

this one looks cute:

Austin Shackles

In the writings of Austin Shackles, the scrolls contained these prophetic words:

Speaking of lights, I saw a set of lamps incorporated into a roof rack for a Nissan (not sure if it was a Terrano or a Patrol). What would be the advantages of this and what the hell they are doing up there!?!

That said, it looks sweet and unusual. Where would someone get similar lamps from?

Reply to
Faolan