Needle scalers for paint removal?

I think you've been "attending incidents" at the Blue Oyster a little too much again...

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Thu, 11 May 2006 10:18:41 +0100, Geoff enlightened us thusly:

That's why I want to put a transit body onto one. 12 seats, all forward facing, with belts, decent headroom...

Oi, Ian - you bringing the Pinz. to Eastnor?

I've just worked out that I've got about a month to repair Edward II and get him MOTd.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 11 May 2006 01:32:00 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com" enlightened us thusly:

is this one that runs off the compressor, I assume? Might be worth having one of they. How much air does it need?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Can you not mod a county?

It's possible, I've already been asked by my local RoW group to come along for the whole weekend with camping, but as they needed me to make the decision right there and then I had to say no. I may well turn up as a punter though, especially if I don't sell the 110 before then, might get some doors.

Pinz still in bits at the mo, simple job has turned into a nightmare because some turd has used great gobs of loctite on the portals to seal the bearing collars and wheel gears to the wheel flange shaft, totally unnecessary. It's with someone with proper tools at the moment, I wrecked my three-leg puller trying to get it all off. Need to get the gear off to repair seal that's behind it. Should easily be ready before Eastnor though.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ouch.

$BIG_NUM years ago, I had a combine harvester with part of the knife- drive mechanism needing a rebuild every year. It was a crank-arm on a tapered shaft that was a little under-specced for the knife length. And the shaft was a very expensive part. So I would spend a couple of days repairing the keyway, turning the taper back to spec, and lapping together the shaft and crank.

The one time somebody from the dealer had tried to fix it, he'd just smothered the wear with loctite. It had lasted about a day.

It was, I understand, a table designed for American crops, which generally were about a half the yield that we were getting at the time. But that was enough to soak up most of any design margin.

Even then, a farmer's time had a pretty low value, and that particular shaft cost over five hundred quid.

Reply to
David G. Bell

its a little hand held gun , i have run it of one of the 60quid compressor from b&q and it worked realy well

says 7cfm but its a lot less worked better at high pressure but low rate around 3cfm if you use much above that it gets blocked

paul

Reply to
o0hex0o

On or around Fri, 12 May 2006 10:06:08 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

nah. can't get enough seats in 'em - I've had one; 7 forward facing pax is about all you can credibly get in and that's a pain, as you end up folding up back ones to get ain and you have to use the centre front seat.

interior space is the one thing LRs fall down on - the tranny is about the same size, length x width as the 110 but has LOADS more interior space.

buggrem. why do people do stupid stuff like that? I mean, I'm all in favour of bodging things, but use summat like silicon sealer, not loctite, if you want to bodge seals.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 12 May 2006 04:32:23 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com" enlightened us thusly:

coo. I'll have a look. might prove handy, I've sundry rusty bodywork to repair on the car, for a start.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I thought he meant a County converted transit!

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I mentioned something about you wanting to put a transit body on a landy, and I was asked "Why", and I have to confess to not knowing, what's it all about in the first place?

It's not the seal they were trying to fix, the wheel shaft of the portal axle has a large gear pressed onto it with the inside collar of a needle bearing pressed on after it, at least the collar has been loctited onto the shaft, meaning that I can't shift the bleeder. Once I get that off I have to remove the gear wheel, which may also be loctited, then I can get at the seal. There's no need for the loctite as it takes several tons of pressure to get the gear and collars off, and there's a large lipped retaining plate that is bolted to the end of the shaft that keeps it all in place too.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Fri, 12 May 2006 16:07:54 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

Regulations about carrying children mean that you have to have forward-facing seats and seat belts. I used to use a 110 and I've also used a disco with a specially made rear bench seat, but neither are ideal and access to either is not good. The interior space of the tranny body is about twice that of the disco and almost twice the 110, plus the access is better. I'm currently operating with 8 passenger seats, but the transit can easily go to 11 (which would entail being PCV licensed which is why I don't do it) which is impossible in a 110 within the regulations, and cramped at best even if you could use the sideways benches.

But the principle reasons are a) it's a fun challenge and b) if it works well, I might be able to sell 'em...

Only reason for loctiting that I can imagine is wear on the shaft making the bearing a loose fit. Not a good solution but one that I could understand.

loctite will undo if you heat it, I assume you know that? the bearing race might end up scrap, but I assume that can be replaced. It doesn't have to get all that hot, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

My understanding of the regs is that anyone over the age of 21 with a full licence of three years standing can drive up to 17 seats (driver +

16 passengers) - certainly I never had to take a PCV licence to drive any school minibuses, all I had to do was prove competence for the insurers. A bloke from the local bus company came and sat with me as I drive around the neighbourhood. When he complemented me on my driving, I told him I drove Land Rovers - he said all the good drivers he sees drive them.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

Yes, I'll be checking out shaft wear once I've got it all off.

I do, I left it with some chap in town who said he'd finish it by the end of play on Thursday, but by the time EOP Friday came around and it was still on his bench untouched, I took it home last night. I heated the collar (still wouldn't move), dremelled some slots in the side and got the gear pullers on it and it started to move. Unfortuntately I managed to take a tiny slice out of the shaft too, but we're talking

1mm wide by about the same deep, on the free end of the shaft (i.e. not between the driving gear and the wheel) so I'm not that concerned. The shaft is about 2 inches in diameter.

Whether the gear will move is another matter, I'll be continuing the fight today. I'd much rather do it myself than leave it to the chap in town, he'd do a better job eventually but getting advice and using that to do it myself is far better.

The bearing is pretty much stock available from most bearing suppliers, the factory one costs £60 and will take three weeks to arrive, the same unit from a local supplier costs £30 and will be here on Tuesday (theoretically).

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Sat, 13 May 2006 09:30:13 +0200, Srtgray enlightened us thusly:

that's true if you're a school employee (say) or volunteer driving on a trip or something. it's very much not true if you're driving for hire or reward; as witness the bloke who's just been hauled over the coals for killing a schoolgirl in South Wales by crashing the bus, turned out not to have a suitable licence.

Hire and reward is class D1 for anything with more than 9 and up to 17 seats including driver.

You also don't get "D1 (category restriction 1)" which is the one that allows you to drive the school minibus on a new licence which dates from

1/1/97 onwards, same as you don't get C1 and large trailers.

to drive 17 seaters commercially you need a ful D1 licence (or D), AKA PCV licence. Also the vehicle has to be PSV tested, and is subject to 6-weekly inspections I think.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ah, I thought you were just talking about for the family. Of course Hire and Reward is a different kettle of cod.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray