new forum for early land rovers

Hi I'm trying to get a site of the ground to bring together people interested in ealy land rovers. It's initially for Land Rover 80" ( including pre production) Series 1's

At the moment I've just got the forum up and running, but I hope to expand on this over hte next week or so with a gallery/ classified / and also a database were people can record details of any land rover 80" they own

Anyway enough of the shamelss plug - visit hte site if you are interested and help make it better

forum.landrover48-53.org

soon to be expanded to

Jon

Reply to
Jon hutchings

No offence or anything, but if I see one more phpbb "Land Rover Forum"

- especially with little or no customisation or content and promoted in a way that makes me feel someone has let thier 12 yr old son take the job of marketing manager...

... I'LL SCREAM!!!

Reply to
Mother

Hey Mother, that's a bit harsh. It's one enthusiast doing his bit to contribute to the world we all inhabit. People will only use it if its useful, so market rules will apply. It'll either blossom or wither. Either way, does it hurt you? I say good luck to the guy.

Personally, if he's got round setting up a bulletin board, he's way ahead of me in the IT stakes. If he hasn't customised it, it doesn't bother me, cos I wouldnt know where to start. And surely all discussion boards have no content to start with - isn't that the point? If he promotes it on this NG, so what? It's the obvious place to start, and it ain't spam, not in my book.

Don't be so cynical and jaded! :-)

Reply to
Dave P

Ditto, but what do you expect Martyn? He's got an Oxford uni email address. :P

Reply to
EMB

On or around Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:43:32 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

and thcweam until you're thick?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Let me see...

Firstly, some of us go to great lengths to seek permission to use the LR Green Oval and are told in no uncertain terms to ensure any use is clearly identified as not being directly sanctioned or representative of Land Rover.

Secondly, such sites often do not go anywhere, the owner gets bored, discovers girls, can't afford the hosting, or simply forgets all about it. In the meantime some may have contributed content of value - when the site goes, so does the content - and the contributors will invariably be less inclined to want to contribute to the next phpbb setup...

Don't get me wrong, good luck and all that - if it lasts. If not, it adds to the gradual errosion of knowledge. I'd rather see more people with such interests gathering together and collectively providing a more centralised repository for information.

Reply to
Mother

Blimey - sorry to stir up such feelings! Didn't know it was such a sore point.

Personally I'm mainly only interested in 80" wheelbase land rovers (tho' I own several series 3's Ex mil etc as well). As a memeber of both the series one and Land rover register, the series one garage etc. I've never been that happy with what's available on the web for enthusiasts of the very first land rovers, espcially the pre pro's which as I'm sure you know, have numerous detail differences to the production models. Whilst there are some excellent websites containing this sort of information, I've not found any forums where people who are lucky enough to own such vehicles can exhange information about them

As for the customization - fair comment - I was perhaps a bit early in sending my e-mail, I'm customizing it all the time, adding in some of the nice add ons (gallery tools etc.) changing the theme, look and feel etc. but I have a day job and these things take time, in the mean time I'd like to get people using it, as without people using the site it has no content and so will disappear along with a million others.

The Oxford uni e-mail address is because I'm one of the Network Sysadmins for the university (and have been for the last 10 years) - and before you ask the site is not hosted on any uni equipment and it completely indepandant of the university.

Anyone who has an interest in these early vehicles, please come and visit the site and help me make it a useful resource. I've got lots of question I'll be posting in the forums there over the next few days, but now I need soem members to answer them.

Thanks

Jon

Reply to
Jon Hutchings

Well, full marks for coming back and stating your point of view. I do actually wish you every success, and would urge you to look at ways of maintaining the 'freshness', both of the site and in terms of your own committment.

Reply to
Mother