Not gone to Biling.

I took the original 101 pump off and replaced it with a similar pump which had twice as many blades. I had thought the old pump may have been spinning on the impellor (if that makes sense?). but seems fine now it's out. Personal feeling is the viscous fan and rad cowl make the real difference.

Reply to
Mother

Ah, the masterplan is disclosed...

The wheel will probably be going on the front - but on the frame so there'll be at least 18" gap - 'nuf for air to gerrin methinks.

Course, I need to put the Rangie airbags on to counter the negative cambre on the springs first. Ho hum...

Reply to
Mother

oh interesting...what was the source of the heating problem?

Lee D.

Reply to
Lee_D

Right... just be a star and hang the spare wheel off the windscreen wipers with a birra rope and see if the engine stays cool.. If so aI'll bung mine on too :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Understood.

Was the one you fitted anything special? The one I am suspicious of was a low cost pattern part.

David

Reply to
rads

You been pie munching again?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Not really. I was talking to Holly at RPI last year and he went and had a look on the shelf. I ordered what he came back with :-)

Reply to
Mother

Can you get an electric water pump?. Ive been them mentioned for older saabs (for which replacement water pumps are scarce). Would one of them be suitable for a 101?. Mine still gets warm.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I would doubt it - however I'm sure I'll be corrected.

It should do, it has hot water running through it ;-)

Reply to
Mother

On or around Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:55:16 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

Austin had an interesting CVT ages ago as well. I dunno if I can describe it in words or by ascii-art, but I remember seeing an article about it in classic cars ages ago, someone had restored about the only one left in existence.

OK...

Imagine a flat plate like a lathe surface plate only thicker. Imagine a second one, facing the first. The first is the driving plate and the second is the driven plate. Now imagine that you cut a circular groove around each plate, such that the section of the groove is most of a semicircle. The outer edge of the groove is near the outside diameter of the plate, the inner edge is not far from the centre. Now put the 2 plates together, facing eachother, so that the 2 grooves (one on each plate) both co-incide with the same hypothetical circle.

The drive was transmitted from one to the other by a set of wheels, arranged on a carrier in between the 2 plates. The wheels are capable of being tilted so that they can align from the inner edge of the driving plate to the outer edge of the driven plate, around to where they align the opposite way 'round. thus, 1:1 is in the "middle", and it gears down on the one side and up on the other. suitable choice of final drive ratio achieves the right overall ratios.

I imagine the problems this device suffered were mainly due to slip. the wheels could have clutch-style lining around their periphery (and may have had, for all I know).

and now, I hand you over to the people trying to sell 'em:

although they seem to be using two.

the second link has moving pictures...

interesting site. If they can get the traction fluid sorted, they've solved the problems of mechanical contact and wear.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Right. Have found some electric water pumps!

seem to make them, and they are for saleat
(around £200 for a pump andcontroller).

Looks like it might be an alternative option for overheating 101's!. Has anybody every tried one of these?

I'm gonna see if i loose any weight next week if i drive the 101 all week :) With my current temporary engine cover bodge it gets extra warm too :(

Reply to
Tom Woods

I'm led to believe that certain cars have them as standard - Austin was after one for his "LPG air con" idea. I'd expect them to be fairly cheap from a breaker's yard.

Austin, which models of car were you looking at?

Reply to
QrizB