not-so-good vibrations

ok, I drive from cold and there is a definate clunk type vibration from the rear right, like the tyre is not round, there is also a light metallic rattle from that area. However after around 3 miles the vibration is all but gone, though whenever I hit a bump or pot-hole etc I still get the rattle. could this perhaps be a wheel bearing thing?

that is the same wheel which I think needs a new brake cylinder as the back brakes take two pushes of the pedal to work and the inner face of the hub is damp.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Hi, Sounds just like a wheel bearing to me. Just changed both my rear sets. Noise gone! The scrutineers first picked up on it at a trial I was competing in. I think the noise goes as the bearing heats up and expands. Try jacking up the rear wheels one at a time and doing the wobble test; 12 to 6 O'Clock and

3 to 0 O'Clock, this should give a definite amount of play when cold. Then you know a bearing is at fault. I also had a lower link bush that was knackered at the axle end.

Cheers, Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

Twas Sat, 6 Mar 2004 23:38:53 -0000 when "90ninety" put finger to keyboard producing:

Thanks for that, I feared it could be the bearing as it's a job I've not done before so I'm lost.. time for some reading then.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Hi,

It does sound as though the self leveler could be worn. I would assume that it has one of these fitted as it is a Station Wagon. I know they where fitted on the 1986 models.

Take a look under the back end of the vehicle and see if there is a massive shock absorber, looking thing in the middle and to the front of the rear axle. If there is try rattling top and bottom ends and notice any play in the ball joints. This shows up as a rattle, especially over bumbs and tends to disappear altogther if you have weight in the back. (from my own findings anyhow). I believe the joints can be replaced. Be careful if you take off the unit yourself as it tends to take you by surprise if you don't expect the weight of it.

I was also told that you can remove this but I would recommend you upgrade the springs if you do, as I believe they would be too soft. This works out the cheaper option if the unit is knackered. I understand they are in the region of £300-£400 new.

Hope this helps.

Tim '96 300 Tdi Disco

Reply to
Tim

Twas Sun, 7 Mar 2004 19:39:30 -0000 when "Tim" put finger to keyboard producing:

Thanks for the suggestion Tim, It does have a self leveller and if it's knackered I'd rather find out now as I intend replacing all the springs and shocks. i didn't think it could be that as it's definatly only on one side, but I'll have a good poke of it tomorrow and see what's what.