Now the sun's coming out...

Well, it might!

Anyway, I re-batteried the Landy and the BMW yesterday for £100 total, which I reckon to be a pretty good deal (the Beemer battery, although

1/3 the capacity of the Landy was £10 more expensive).

Homer* is now rejoicing in a 90AH, 600+ cranking amps monster, but as she** occasionally loafs about for weeks at a time, I'm wondering about fitting a small-ish solar panel to trickle charge it whilst not in regular use.

Has anyone else done this, and if so, how did you get on?

Regards,

Simonm.

*'Marge' is way too risky - would be unceremoniously rejected by SWMBO. **Think Johnny Cash in reverse. I know she'll grow up butch (and probably radioactive) but it's a price worth paying for style.
Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

I've got a small solar panel on Grumble:

close-up

The price of these has fallen significantly since the time I got this one!

I think it's a good idea if you leave the vehicle standing for a while.

Reply to
Mother

In article , Mother writes

Thanks Martyn. It looks neat & tidy. Are you happy it's waterproof, etc., and do you think you get a good enough charge rate? I know they are supposed to work fairly well, even on dull days.

I used one years ago in Nepal that produced a whopping 10A on sunny days. It was far from cheap though, and the departmental manager stupidly connected it to a very expensive wet NiCad, which it knackered in about 4 months. Had it been charging lead-acid, it would have worked brilliantly. We sent him some Cyclons when I came home...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Do solar panels still have the deterioration problem? I fitted a solar powered water fountain the the pond at our old house - the panel was probably about the same size as yours, on the shed roof. It jetted water about 6' vertically at first, but after a season, it was more of a half-hearted trickle. The pump seemed fine, I think the panel was losing efficiency, but I never tested it.

David

Reply to
David French

In article , David French writes

The ones I'm considering have a 10 year guarantee and a "20 year performance guarantee on the cells" so they might well have improved. I haven't researched prices yet though, so I might be in for a nasty shock!

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Twas Fri, 05 Mar 2004 17:47:31 GMT when SpamTrapSeeSig put finger to keyboard producing:

where are these then??

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

In article , Mr. Nice. writes

Cheltenham:

(but I've no idea of price yet)

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Don't you get worried about putting your foot through it martyn?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Erm... I put it there in a moment of pure stupidity. It will actually be going soon and will be replaced with a larger cell, on the front end...

Reply to
Mother

Degradation is an issue - which is why I got the (at the time) expensive one. However, keep it clean and it'll do for a good few years. One point, measurement is impossible as you'll never get the same sky conditions - why I bothered keeping a log is beyond me...

I'm looking at getting a bigger cell - or one of these 'roll up' jobies - s'posed to be designed for marine use and a lot more robust...

Reply to
Mother

Totally - impressed actually.

It'll put enough charge in a battery to start a 3.5L V8 101 at around

10am after (yes, I know) totally flattening the battery the night before. This is good, but as a failsafe I got a couple of Optima Yellowtops to run 'non starting' electrics!
Reply to
Mother

These things are the wotsits, you can bend them (gently ! ) and jump on them too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve