Of Landrovers and Lions

Hi All

Yesterday I made the foolish mistake of letting my better half drive the disco through a local game reserve while I tried my best to pacify the two squeakers in the back. Anyway the fellow said that the lions were rather keen on spare wheel covers and not to let one get behind the vehicle. With three lions sitting right next to the track, the wife thought this was an unmissable photo op and decided to stop and lean over to get a few good shots (they were sitting on the passenger side). As soon as the big male got up I told her to get going pronto. Well you can guess the rest. The lion ripped the spare wheel cover (that took me about 10mins of puffing and grunting to get on) off in about 2 sec, while we were dawdling off in low first.

Fortunately my oldest (2.4years), who usually runs amok in the back of the disco was sitting with me in the middle seats, or I fear he might have thought this was getting a little too close to nature. Anyway, I am now in the market for a new wheel cover and am not keen on LR pricing. Any ideas on where to get cheap one?

Regards Stephen

Reply to
Fanie

vehicle. With

Last time my Disco went in for service (Testers of Edenbridge) they rang up and asked if they could put one on with their logo - complementary to you sir ! - mind you it did have a rivals one on at the time which they presumably ritually destroyed!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You could run over the lion, skin it, and use it as a novelty wheel cover. Leave the head on for best results.

What do the lions do with the covers?

Reply to
dewils80

Just after I got my Disco I lost the wheel cover during a storm. Turning round in a narrow lane, it got hooked on a tree, heard a noise but with heavy rain (a few hours later the water would be flooding Carlisle) and 50mph winds I wasn't *that* keen on getting out, the gates were bad enough.

Next time I went into the dealers I asked about wheel covers "One with our name one will be free" "OK that'll do."

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Trouble is, unless you're a very dab hand with a remote control grabhook, or a superfast taxidermist, his girlfriends would be eating you as you work

put them on their Land Rovers, 'ripped jeans style' of course :o)

Reply to
Mark

In message , Fanie writes

I give my wheel covers away to customers free.

But I guess the postage to you would be a problem.

Although my wheel cover have been spotted at both ends of Africa !

Am thinking of putting a "spotted" page on the web site when I get it done to see how far away my covers have been.

Reply to
Marc Draper

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

They are my local dealer too....... But they know better than to remove one of my wheel covers !!!!

Reply to
Marc Draper

They do that because they are fed from the back of a bakkie, they expect food there. I recall this happening to a Jewish dentist's Suzuki a few years back. He had us in stitches when he recounted the ordeal in his Yiddish accent. I had an encounter with Lions at the Lion & Rhino park in GP, the buggers climbed all over my (then new) 316 BMW! Got off with a few scratches.

Regards Sean

Reply to
Landynut

I know they're tough cars, but I shouldn't have thought there would have been much left of a BMW 316 after a rhino had climbed all over it? :o)

M.

Reply to
McBad

M sed

Fortunately the rhino are docile, now Lions are prone to getting out of hand. After a few toots at the Crocodile bar, they are almost as bad as the Rotarians :-)

Sean

Reply to
Landynut

My older brother towed a tent trailer through the Lion Park in North Antrim YEARS ago. The Lions totally demolished it & Steve had to be escorted out of the park by 2 zebra Landies & a tractor!! The rips on the remains of the trailer cover were 3" apart. Big paws on those kitties!!

Reply to
Martin Edwards

Jewellnofine, he's earned the title King of the Jungle, not that we have any jungle here, mostly grassland and savanna. Lion are also opportunistic hunters, there was a classic video on Veldfokus some 10 years back of a springbuck that ran over a pride of sleeping lions. The "sleeping" lion scooped the prancing springbuck right out of the air. (fast food?) This opportunistic side of a lion's instinct is revealed from time to time on the odd tourist or guide that becomes too used to them.

Where is North Antrim? What is a tent trailer, a caravan with canvass sides?

Regards Sean

Reply to
Landynut