Oi.. Bager! Diesel Whiff

With the RR (03) After a run I can smell a whiff of diesel fuel around the engine bay. There are no obvious leaks and the odur appears srtongest around the area of the grill on the right as you look in the engine bay... though I admit it's hard to pin down a whiff.

Before anyone says it's a diesel , what do you expect - I don't get the same on my '90 110 TD so summat isn't right.

Is this a "feature" of the marque and somthing known about or do I need to start whipping off the cowlings and playing hunt the illusive leak.

No fluid apparent on the floor or dribbles obvious to the eye.

I've posted on the RR Forum but also copied here as Bager had the same lump in a BMW.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee, it could be the FBH (Fuel Burning Heater) they emit a strong fume smell and the exhaust for it is at the N/S/F behind the headlamp

Reply to
Andy

Andy uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Whats that all about ? Is it the cold morning type programmable heater or something else?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Might be but I think "webasto", something to heat the passenger compart from go rather than waiting the 5 mins for the engine based heater to start working.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just a supplementary heater to warm it faster, fitted to most new LR diesels. Open bonnet and have a look behind the N/S headlight, look for a silver rectangular device that looks a bit like a tin can with pipes going in and out.

On some models it is programmable via a timer or even by remote control.

Reply to
Andy

Lee, look very carefully at the pipes connected to the high-pressure fuel pump mounted on the nearside of the engine. One of these hoses has a habit of weeping, it's a known issue on the 3-series. Not a high-pressure pipe that leaks, but it's a pig to get at and on the bmw version uses a special type of jubilee clip that needs a special tool to turn it! I replaced mine with a std clip when it started leaking and it was fine from then on. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Andy uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Not explored underbonnet tonight but it's defo whiffy most around the headlight which is encouraging I guess. I'll have a look later if I can sneak it in one of our vehicle bays during my snapping break. - The joy of Nights!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Badger uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I'll have a butchers ta.

Reply to
Lee_D

Well, spot anything matey? badger.

Reply to
Badger

Badger uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Typically busy night - I never got to have a real good look and the butties got shovelled in quick time during the sprint to the brew room. I've had a coursory glance by fading torchlight and it appears that if the pump is above the alternator you may have struck gold.I found a hose about an inch in dia or so with what initially appeared to be a jubilee clip but as you say requiring a trick tool.

There did appear some dampness in the area but not a torrent. If I pull this hose will it need bleeding or is it some kind of return hose?

There is also what seems to be a small cooler on the near-side arch which has ducting running up to it from the headlight (where the smell appears strong) This is my second suspect item for investigation.

I'm on rest days now so I'll take a peek tomorrow in the daylight.

I have managed to deduce that I don't have the aux heater fitted though that warms the cabin. The Aux ventilation is fitted though which is a bit backward for the UK but hey!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Right - Sorted!

Cheers Bager, it was exactly as you suspected. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!

I've bunged a few piccys up

incase anyone else ever feels the need and finds this thread. It's a simple fix requiring only a new Jubilee clip, allen keys and mole grips. Though a few creature comforts came in handy such as the step and old carpet matting as it can be time consuming and requiring some contortion.

Thanks again Bager - I'll get you a pint at one of the Unofficialls!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Damn... just found a spare box of d's so now my "Badgers" will be complete - doh!

d d d deer ddddd d derr ddddd ........

Reply to
Lee_D

Wuzz wearing gloves. B-)

Just swapped the battery in the DII, no gloves. Do have rather grubby fingers now but as it looks as if the next job is working out why the washing machine is failing to pump...

Didn't loose any settings by using an old 12V alarm battery jury rigged into the ciggy socket. You do have to switch the ignition one position on to "aux" to get the socket live, fully off feeding volts in there wouldn't work.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bloody big batteries them!

Reply to
Nige

Which? DII or Alarm... The DII weighs in at 26kg according to the box. I was wondering how to get the old one out of the rather snug space it is dropped into until I discovered the finger holds at the top each end. Struggled to get the new one out of the box as it was shrink wrapped over the finger holds and the box was just following the battery.

Washing machine sorted, plastic clothes label push through tie thingy and a load of fluff jaming the pump impellor. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yup, didn't want to get the engine dirtly ;-)

My fave is the 5p in the filter trick... along with paper clips and what ever else our lad have been dabbling with prior to the tidy up of the room where upon everything gets deposited in the lundry basket.

Cunning! I'll no doubt be needing to explore that option some time soon. I doubt the battery on Jeeves has been changed yet. Time will tell.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Ah,'adn't thought o' that. Of course.

Plastic label tie tag thing and a load of fluff through the filter and jamming the impellor.

How old is Jeeves? The DII was registered in March 2001, I think I've just taken out the orginal battery so nearly 7 years old, not bad. It was still working OK provided the temp stayed above 0C any colder and it didn't have the grunt to start the engine.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Lundry?? Now you're short of "A"'s, here have a few..... AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaAaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAaaaa ;-)

Reply to
Badger

Badger uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Got any O's?

:-)

Reply to
Lee_D

Certainly sir, garden o's or radiator o's? Hahaha.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger