Oil Change Time.

What would be the best oil to use in a 1957 2 ltr petrol Series One engine please.

Thank you.

Reply to
Rory

Any decent quality 20W/50 oil should do.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Wed, 02 Aug 2006 07:39:47 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

Uniprat "green", Morris Magnol, halfords do a traditional green one in a nice tin can.

don't be tempted to put modern thin oil in it though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Castrol now sell a line called "Castrol Classic" that has a nice 20W50, not the cheapest, but then if you care about your engine you don't want the cheapest.

We use this at work for one of our processes that needs a reasonably viscous oil of good quality, used to use Castrol Merit, but they dropped that line :(

Lizzy

Reply to
LizzyTaylor

Castrol R, those were the days, I wonder if it still smells the same? :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Yes it does. Lovely smell.

Reply to
EMB

Castor oil?

Reply to
GbH

On or around Thu, 03 Aug 2006 10:31:15 GMT, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

castor-based, certainly.

and woe betide you if you use mineral-based oil in an engine designed for castor-based. It tends to wear out.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yep, you can still smell it regularly at vintage sports car events, Prescott Hillclimb this weekend for example, Shelsley Walsh, Goodwood Revival and most of the Vintage Sports Car club events.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yep.

Reply to