One of the bonnet release cable might be unhooked

Hi all,

it seems that one of the two release cables is losser than the other on my A38, only the passenger side bonnet pin works while the driver side is jammed...

tried pushing and pulling on the bonnet, using a wire hanger to pull on the hatch inner... Nothing works ??? any Idea's...

Reply to
qbouhasan

You want alt.fan.vintage.austin, mate.

Reply to
Rich B

Assuming we're talking about a 38a!!!

You should be able to get at the cables from behind the release lever in the footwell. A pair of long nose pliers should do the trick. If it broken or detatched then you are knackered bacause it is very difficult to release the bonnet without the catches being engaged. I don't know how you would do that.

On mine the bonnet catch wasn't locking giving the "bonnet not shut" message all the time. It also caused a MOT failiure because the tester said the bonnet could open at any time! Not true because the central and right hand catches were working fine but the testers word is law.

I removed it, cleaned it but it still wan't engaging so I bought the biggest spring I could find and put that on. Total cost was 10p plus a retest fee!

Reply to
Adam Swire

On or around Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:18:26 -0000, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

Oi. I'm not that old yet.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Doh! I was thinking of Somerset, but that was an A40? There wasn't an A38, was there? No, there wasn't, OK, nothing to see, move along...

Reply to
Rich B

There was an A35 and A40, but no, not an A38

Reply to
nullified

Twas a long time ago, and I was very very little. My excuse.

Reply to
Rich B

On or around Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:09:09 -0000, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

There were several varieties of A40, mind. There was a "Devon" as well, I think.

The Somerset was a nice car, I knew someone who ran one for years.

A38 is one of 2 major routes (brownie points for the other one - actually, there may be more but I know of only one) that break the A-road numbering rules. A38 starts in Plymouth, in "A3" territory, but ends in Derby, almost round in "A1" territory.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You can release the offside catch from below, using the jack handle. I had the same problem ... see post here:

Cheers, Chris.

Reply to
chris